Your Most Useful Tool?

Page 1 of 2
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me. So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be my digital voice recorder.
I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing ("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice recorder.
What's your most useful tool?
John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com
Cordless impact driver followed closely by a 5" angle grinder. So many things are screwed together or bolted together, the impact driver will run sockets in and out with a socket adapter or regular square drive and Philips screw heads. Plenty of torque in a 14.4 volt or higher model. Like a baby impact wrench it is. The angle grinder is so nice for removing nail/screw points that over-penetrated as well as excess bolt threads. Got a lock or chain that won't open? Burn a link open and you're in.
My thumb.

Useful, but the index finger is better for picking your nose and smoothing caulk.

Oh you can dig much deeper into your nose with your finger, but there is nothing like the thumb for maximum collection. BSF: Workers who lose a thumb are severely disabled. You can compensate for the loss of a finger, but not a thumb.
Tape measure. I use it for electrical, plumbing and carpentry projects. I use it for planning, design and for actual construction. I can substitute a rock for a hammer and a butter knife for a screwdriver but if I substitute a cubit (my forearm) for a yard, everything comes out all crooked. How did Noah do it?

Churchill wrote:

Define tool. So either a notebook computer or a cordless drill (or utility knife, pencil is up there, too).
Favorite tool would elicit more interesting answers than useful tool.

too obvious
On 10 Feb 2006 12:10:27 -0800, "Churchill"

The one between my legs !!!!
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:28:04 -0600, ####@####.com wrote:

A milk churn?
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:02:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

butter churn
Churchill, 2/10/2006,3:10:27 PM, wrote:

I am an electronic technician and a computer repairer. My most useful tool is my sense of logic followed closely by a 7-level screwdriver (also known as a tweaker).
I'd rather not say, but: I never bring it out in public or leave home without it.<g>
"Churchill" wrote in message

It's probably a toss up between a phone & vehicle. Although my glasses could be considered a tool. I wonder if clothing articles are considered tools. Hmmmmmmm, maybe my toothbrush & razor.
Good question.
Moiss Nacio wrote:

A pencil A tape measure A razor knife A clean rag and last but not least My helper, he is a real tool sometimes :)
My new favorite tool and quikly becoming my most useful tool is my distance laser meter. My Disto Plus has an accuracy of + - 1/16th of an inch and a range of 650 ft. As an appraiser doing exterior and interior measuring I don't know how I lived without before. It saves me a ton of time.
Check out www.laserstreet.com for specs on what these things can do.
Mark
Mark Kliewer,
Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these exist. I ran out this morning and bought a Stanley Tru-Laster from Home Depot for $99. I measured the square footage of my house, and it took me no time at all. This is an awesome tool and a great idea! Thanks again,
John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com

And yet you teach building and construction? No wonder we have so little progress in the use of new materials.

I was thinking along the same line, regarding the teaching aspect. Then I remembered the phrase "educated idiot".
Oren
wrote in message

I seem to worry about a "GC" that buys everything at HD or Lowes....