your experience with referral services

I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm curious to hear about anyone's experience, as a contractor or as a customer, with any such service.

Reply to
Mayayana

Not a contractor but I subscribed to Angie's list earlier this year and found its a real PITA on the user end. It spams you two or three times a day. I am seriously considering adding it to the bozo bin.

John

Reply to
John

Last summer I wanted the shingle roof replaced on my house. I signed into Home Advisor one morning around 10:00 and with in a couple of hours I had 4 calls. I set up appointments for them to come out and give an estimate. All showed up at the time they said they would (not all at the same time). I got estimates and they ran fom about $ 7000 to almost $ 20,000. I went with the next to the lowest as I liked the sales pitch the man gave and the shingles had a longer warrenty.

The roofers showed up on time and seemed to do a good job. We have had lots of days of high wind and none have blown off.

Also I asked about gutters while the estimator I went with was here as his price was low enough I could do both and had gutters put up. Two men showed up on the day they were suspose to and no problems there either.

While I have not had any more work done I usually get some email from Home Advisor about once a week. May be able to get it stopped, but have not tried, but no phone calls (telemarkers) from them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It can pay to advertise and I guess you need make decision as to what you get in return for your advertising dollar.

My brief look at Home Advisor a couple of months ago did not list any of the roofers I knew that had good reputations and did a lot of work in my area. When I looked at Angie's list many years ago most of the contractors were far removed from the area. I would not use either to find a contractor.

Reply to
Frank

Back around the turn of the century, I asked the local building inspector for the name of a reputable roofer. While he wouldn't/couldn't answer, a day or two later I had a roofers business card stuffed in my door. Roof company did an excellent job, no leaks yet.

And once you find one honest contractor, ask them for referrals for other building trades. These guys often know each other and know who the jackleg crooks are.

Reply to
Rich

+1

If you look something up they wait a week or so and then start dunning you for a reference on the business or any allied business you may have chosen instead.

From what I've seen on their site, the listing/reference for most seems pretty vanilla. Waste of money. Glad I got a super deal on it through Groupon and paid only nickels on the dollar. I won't be renewing at the end of 3 years or whatever.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I used Service Magic (now Home advisor) a few times. For furnace repair, window repair, and roofing. I was satisfied, but there are pluses and minuses for contractors. The roofer actually wasn't currently signed up with them but they were still pestering him. Don't remember the exact details. As I recall the contractors were putting out 20 to100 bucks for the referrals, depending on the work requested. They weren't too happy when they lost a bid. I actually asked some of the losing bidders how they felt about using the service. Most were just resigned to it as a cost of doing business, so the roofer was an exception. Keep in mind you have to be fast coming out to bid. Each time I used the service the phone started ringing immediately, as the guys got texted on their cells.

Reply to
Vic Smith

A lot like advertising in the local bargainhunter rag. You get all the "customers" looking for a deal -and the ones NOBODY can satisfy. Unlike the bargainhunter rags, they'll badmouth you across the country.

Admitedly, they are not ALL that kind of customer - but do you need ANY of them???

You might get 20 real happy customers and one of the "others" - - and you are done like dinner.

Reply to
clare

Oooooeeeeoooo.

Reply to
Micky

Catch 22

How do you choose a good referral service?

I generally hire contractors via "word of mouth".

Which contractors do people I know have good experience with?

Most of the time I go with a company that is right in my own neighborhood.

Reply to
philo