Your electric car or your computer not both..PANIC NOW

Page 2 of 2
Scott Lurndal presented the following explanation :

Actually, for snarky, it was quite funny.

Solar power covers more than just photovoltaic systems too. It also covers the heat energy which can be stored and later converted to electricity by thermocouples. I extended this idea somewhat in a reply to an 'I'll bite' response in another group. If you're interested, the post is in the scorched-earth group. I'll warn you though, you might think it is a bit of a stretch.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:52:04 -0400, FromTheRafters

Yikes, talk about inefficiency! Solar has good uses. It may be a good alternative for modest users of electricity off the grid but don't plan on having much at night unless you are a millionaire. Heating water is am excellent use as long as you can store it for that morning shower and pool/spa heaters are great (what I do). It starts going down hill fast from there unless you are in a special spot. Out in the western deserts, heating up the thermal mass of a home during the day to get you through a cold night has been around for 10,000 years although trombe walls and such are 20th century technologies. I have been studying this since the Carter administration but I still can't get the numbers to work out for most of it. I was close to a PV system a couple years ago but Florida ran out of incentive money. It was really going to make sense with a $4 a watt subsidy plus 30% from the feds, even if I was stealing from my neighbors.
It happens that snipped-for-privacy@aol.com formulated :

On another note, I had seen a news story some time ago about Hawaii after having offered incentives for homeowners to embrace Solar Power Systems for homes, the power utility (grid) started to suffer from a lack of money for the upkeep of the infrastructure the homeowners relied on to sell or buy the energy they didn't or did need during local solar feast or famine times and ended up having to charge them for it. I never did follow up to see how they eventually worked that out. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:06:07 -0400, FromTheRafters

Grid tie systems really only work well when there are only a few tied in. If you get a significant number of people feeding the system and demanding money back all day, it is hard to maintain the infrastructure for them at night without raising prices for everyone.

Priced either, lately?
Alladin usta make the best kerosene mantle lamps. A top-of-the-line Alladin lamp could put out the equivalent of a 100W electric light bulb. Then kerosene went thru the roof and has never come down.
I usta get no. 1 kerosene from local gas stations fer about $1.57 gal. Last time I went to a local feed store, they wanted $8.50 gal! I ended up throwing a 35K BTU kerosene heater away. It was a nearly new $225 htr. I couln't give it away! 8|
Candles? Beeswax candles are about $5 ea fer a 6" finger-sized candle! I've never lit them, so do not know their burn time, but it's gotta be waaaay less $$$$ than a 75W CFL/LED.
nb