Your electric car or your computer not both..PANIC NOW

Page 1 of 2
Computers will use more electricity than the entire world can generate by 2040, tech experts claim
Nightmare scenario means humanity will be simply unable to power the systems which keep us alive
But the current digital big bang could end with a disappointing whimper bec ause humanity may be unable to produce enough power to keep computers runni ng, experts have warned.
A leading technical organised called the Semiconductor Industry Association has produced a study which said that computer-crazy society will be runnin g short of electricity by 2040
It wrote: “Computing will not be sustainable by 2040, when the ener gy required for computing will exceed the estimated world’s energy production.”
The Semiconductor Industry Association meets every year to discuss how elec tronic components called transistors – which power computer circuit s – can be made ever smaller.
Now the organisation is conceding that they probably won’t get any tinier, heralding the end of an era where computers got faster and faster a s transistors shrunk to every tinier sizes.
This means tech firms will have to think of new ways to make computers powe rful enough to keep up with demands.
“Driverless cars and personalised medicine along with countless oth er applications of intelligent systems are on the horizon, the Semiconducto r Industry Association added.
The year 2040 carries a huge resonance in the tech world, because some peop le believe that’s when artificial intelligence will become as cleve r as us humans – a moment known as the singularity.
This is unlikely to happen if we keep suffering power cuts because our comp uters are taking up too much energy.
What’s the best way to make sure a malign computer doesn’t wipe us all out? Make sure it’s not plugged in.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 15:26:44 -0400, burfordTjustice

I call bullshit on this. You just have to look what happened in the last 25 years. Computing power skyrocketed and the electrical power used plummeted. Your smart phone that can take a whole day's worth of charge from a 5v 1 amp USB port in less than an hour, has the power of a mainframe that had a 208v 100a plug on it.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:38:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Anything from Buford T Justice is totally unadulterated BS. You can bet on it.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:36:13 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Those 100 amp mainframes used switchers. Huge ones obviously. IBM stopped using shunt regulators, and pass regulators by the mid 60s. We did have at least one machine (3705 communication controller) that used a strange SCR supply that took the 208vac and made the DC voltages directly by using PWM and a buttload of big capacitors. They were scary noisy on the power line side tho.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:07:07 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The mod 50 used a 208 3p 60 amp plug. That was a switcher PS machine too. I had a couple in my territory

Yup, They actually assembled a special s/360 just for NASA that was a multiprocessor M/95. I saw a lot of Univac 1108s that the Navy used but I never messed with them.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:32:32 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The 360 line was all SLT card on board technology. The logic was all on cards with silver cans over the <similar to> TTL silicon. It was similar to 74xx but different packaging. The boards were about 13" x 10" and only contained interconnects, either printed on two layers of the board or discrete wire wraps. There were a few controllers that used older 1401 type technology that had SMS card on board. (discrete components AKA STDTL) All of them had core storage and an assortment of capacitive ROM using punched mylar sheets in various configurations for the firmware.
The 370 series introduced reloadable storage for the firmware but it was first introduced in the crossover M25 and M85 systems. The 370 was also the first time the world saw the 8" floppy to load that code.

Discrete computer:
http://www.megaprocessor.com/
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:34:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

That is still using integrated circuit technology
This is discrete technology
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/SMScard.jpg/220px-SMScard.jpg
I would guess that there are 2 gates on this card but that is just a wild guess based on transistor count. It might just be a flip flop with gates on the input.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

From the webpage:
Like all modern processors the Megaprocessor is built from transistors. It's just that instead of using teeny-weeny ones integrated on a silicon chip it uses discrete individual ones like those below. Thousands of them. And loads of LEDs.
http://megaprocessor.com/Cost_Materials.html
Not an IC in the bunch.
Scott Lurndal laid this down on his screen :

Cool! Would you call that Large Scale Dis-integration?
Responding to an article by Burfurdshithead, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Did you read the industry report instead of the idiots spam post?
Read it, then comment.
http://www.semiconductors.org/main/2015_international_technology_roadmap_for_semiconductors_itrs/

Agree. Typical alarmist BS. Remember the predictions a few decades ago that we would run out of oil by now? Peak Oil? More BS.
--
Bobby G.

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/11/peak-oil-perspective/
On 07/25/2016 03:26 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:

One word: SOLAR POWER

Three words: Do the Math:
http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/07/galactic-scale-energy/
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:11:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

The bottom line of all of this, energy, global warming, water shortage and just about every other projected calamity, is population. There are just too damned many people on the planet and they all want a home with inside plumbing, electricity, heat and a car parked in the driveway. One data point to ponder, global CO2 concentration tracks population as closely as any other metric for the last 8000 years. Farming is as big a contributor as SUVs.
burfordTjustice brought next idea :

Yes, and they always have been.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:22:56 -0400, FromTheRafters

Go to bed early huh?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Electricity can be stored via several mechanisms such as batteries, flywheels or pumped storage to cover times when direct solar is insufficient. But I'm sure you're aware of that, so why the snarky reply?
It was not unusual 60 years ago for one to rise with the sun and set with the sun (perhaps augmented by candles or oil lamps).
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:53:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I know there are a number of schemes but they are not really practical. Solar starts at around 15% efficiency and mechanical storage cuts that by at least half making the collector price very un attractive. Batteries are very expensive with a relatively short life. The only viable option these days is "grid storage" that still depends on the utility and only works because you are being subsidized by your neighbors. It is basically welfare for the rich.

... and they went to bed early.