You Think NOT Being Able To Caulk Is Frustrating ..

After THREE of those Home Depot "How To" classes. One Hundred and Twenty Five Internet DIY forums AND a Lifetime subscription to Handyman USA .. I have gone completely Bonkers (with some lucid moments) .. Trying to install .. "CROWN MOLDING" (moulding to you Brits)

$600.00 on a Dewalt Sliding, mitering, bevelling compound saw and "I STILL" have over $300.00 in wasted board 8(

Cut it backwards. Cut it upside down. Cut it backwards AND upside down. Cope it. Spring it. Cuss It. PRAY TO IT!! Nothing Works!

Yeah, I have become Really good at those miter cuts .. $300.00 worth of good, (see above).

Problem is .. a 45, 33 and a third, 78 degree miter on an inside corner Sounds Great "Until" you find that they don't work when you have to "Slant" the board away from the wall! (install on an angle)

I HATE CROWN MOLDING!! (moulding to you Brits)

Reply to
Paul M

WebTV-Mail-3962-6061

Get a couple of pieces of scrap (do you have any around) and make sample cuts-inside corner, left and right; outside corner ditto. When you know what you need, put your sample piece in the mitre saw to show you how to cut it. Make that cut on the larger piece.

They do make corner pieces that your crown can butt up to or fit inside. You don't have to make the mitre cuts.

charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop

On 1/17/2005 9:15 PM US(ET), Paul M took fingers to keys, and typed the=20 following:

I just place the moulding in the miter saw with it angled between the=20 base and the back fence, as it would be placed on the wall/ceiling=20 corner, and just cut a 45=BA. No need for all that math. BTW: I spell it 'moulding' and I am in the US. I do it to distinquish=20 between decorative stuff and that yucky stuff without the 'u'.

--=20 Bill

Reply to
willshak

do they have classes on wood putty

bumtracks

That would be a problem. However, if you hold the piece in the saw as it would be placed on the wall/ceiling, it will cut perfectly. Make a jig if your miter saw does not have a back fence or if the moulding is too tall.

Reply to
Mark

Inside corners are easy. You make a coped joint with a coping saw and just overlap them. Outside corners are the hard ones that have to be mitered. HTH :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Whats really bad is having to caulk crown moulding. Try and try, I couldn't do it and also have that "professional" look.

Reply to
Matt

Judging by his description of he ought to have plenty of scrap molding (moulding to you Brits) by now. :-)

Now if he used that, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of paying for subscriptions and tools....?

Reply to
Jim Conway

----- Original Message ----- From: "Very Serious Guy" Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:17 PM Subject: YOU CAN NO LONGER CAULK YOUR WINDOWS

I am sorry to announce that the government is going to ban guns. That means you can still buy caulk, but can not use a gun to install it. You'll just have to learn to live with drafty windows, because guns are banned. The same is true for staples. You can buy staples, but can not use a staple gun, because guns are banned. You can buy paint for your car, but you'll have to use a brush and roller to spread it, because guns are banned and a paint gun IS A GUN. The next time your wife does a Martha Stewart project, tell her to forget using the glue gun, because guns are banned. And you know all those grease fittings on your car, well, you'll have to find another way to grease them besides your grease gun, because guns are banned. Do you own a nail gun? If you do, toss it in the trash and grab a hammer, because guns are banned. If you are like most modern Americans, you probably own a screw gun, right? Well, contrary to what some people believe, screw guns have nothing to do with sex. Just dont get caught using it, because guns are banned.

If this upsets you, here is what you do. Gather all these guns together, wrap them in a box, and send the box to Washington. Be sure to attach a letter with the following words.

Dear Mr. President,

Because of the gun ban, I am surrendering all my guns. Take the paint gun and paint your American flag black Take the staple gun and staple your lips together. Take the glue gun and glue your ass to a wall. Take the nail gun and nail your shoes to the floor. Take the caulking gun and caulk your asshole shut. Take the screw gun and GET SCREWED. But before you do, be sure to use the grease gun for proper lubrication.

Sincerely, (your name)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I live in a 100-yr. old house, nothing square, nothing plumb, nothing fits nicely. Bought some really nice corner blocks from HD and didn't have to miter anything :-) RJ

Reply to
rj