You can too recharge "nonrechargeable" batteries

I just did it. The display on my little phone-answering machine was blinking "BL", so I took out the 9-volt battery (Eveready "Super Heavy Duty") and stuck it in my little ni-cad charger overnight. Took it out the next day and put it in the answering machine, which has been happy for several days now. We'll see how long it lasts.
So much for all those ridiculous dire warnings: your battery will !*&%^#(! ***EXPLODE!!!*** if you try to recharge it. Don't Try This At Home! Leave It To The Professionals!
Sometimes batteries will leak if you try to recharge them. No big deal: I've cleaned battery ooze off my recharger more times than twice, and it still works fine. I figure it's still worth it. I've kept the little AAAs in my old remote alive for about 5 years now by recharging when they get low.
And of course the thing to do is to use a gentle, low-current charger like the one I have. If you try to use a big honking power supply like a car battery charger, then you could have a 'sploded battery on your hands (duh!).

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?
Davej wrote:

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market very long.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On 01/05/09 03:21 pm Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You mean Rayovac, I think. I still have some but haven't used them for a long time.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

By George, I think you got me!
There's some for sale on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/7tuvjs
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I don't remember the model number, but an older motorola I have won't work for more than a few minutes with NiCds or NiMHds. Clearly a voltage thing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rechargeable+alkaline&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
On 1/5/2009 12:21 PM Jeff Wisnia spake thus:

I remember those rechargeable alkalines. Never worked very well. In fact, my method works *almost* as well as they did, and I don't need a special charger for them. (Ni-cad chargers are a dime a dozen.)
My Dad had one of those, for many years. The carbon cells were useless the first time around. Worse, the second time around. Alkalines last four times as long as carbons.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have an old alkaline charger, the problem is you dont increase the voltage to full charge and they can leak later and ruin what you use them for. The alkaline is corosive. Remotes take the least amount of current, now try it for a flashlight.
On 1/5/2009 5:02 PM ransley spake thus:

Yes, I know. I'd never try this for any load that uses an appreciable amount of current. But lots of electronic devices are very happy with just a few mA, for which this method works very nicely.
on 1/5/2009 2:10 PM (ET) David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

I used to recharge the non-rechargeables too. The Energizers worked the best. They didn't hold a charge as long as the factory charged ones did, though. As I recall, Duracells didn't charge too well.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I got tired of replacing the battery in a clock and measured the current draw and now recharge the battery continuously with the same current using a charge pump, ie 2 small diodes and a small capacitor, with a line cord from a discarded PC.
Nick
Couldn't be like the rest of us, and go buy a plug in clock?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A GF of mine did this a few years back. After I got done being pissed at her because they leaked all over the charger, I tried them to see if they worked JFTHOI ...but they didn't..
All that bother, and the batteries had to be pitched out. Sigh.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Years ago I remember a charger being sold for charging single use alkaline batteries. I think it was called Battery Buddy and there is still a unit being sold by that name that claims to safely recharge not only disposable cells but all other common rechargeable batteries.
http://tinyurl.com/79aurt
TDD