You CAN get 100 miles per gallon of gas by adding air

[Quote]
"The U.S. Department of Energy predicts an increase in fuel consumption of 3 percent for each 10 psi reduction in tire pressure."
[End Quote]
--
Therefore,

If the normal fuel consumption for your car is 20 mpg, with normal tire
✖
snipped-for-privacy@worldwide.com wrote in news:fbsib8tb0bbapafo3c6f1e335trc8sh0eo@ 4ax.com:

<Tegger thumps fist on desk>
By gosh, THIS is the sort of solid, meaty, useful information that makes me want to read this group!
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 30, 10:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@worldwide.com wrote:

lmgtfy: http://bit.ly/TxK0jF -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 21:21:10 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@worldwide.com wrote:

Math does not lie! Where can I buy a high pressure compressor? I'm thinking I want to hit at least 500 psi.
Add pictures here
✖

✖

Why bother, just get 20 inch rims and wrap a tread around them
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 1, 3:21 am, snipped-for-privacy@worldwide.com wrote:

Low rolling resistance tyres are available that allegedly knock up to 7% off fuel consumption. Some of them run at 60psi. I think they need special wheels though.
A lot of energy is lost through hysterysis in tyres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_rolling_resistance_tires
There are plenty of cars do 70mpg in Europe. If you go electric, 300mpg+ (equivalent) is available. Most have low RR tyres.
So the OP is correctish.
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:36:38 AM UTC-5, harry wrote:

Yeah, but if you're actually going to be serious about the subject, note that this page suggests that only about 15% (max) of fuel consumption is used by rolling resistance, so if you drove around on titanium disks that 20 mpg car would still only get around 23 mpg. At highway speed, it's all about air resistance and engine efficiency.

Hmm.. Define "equivalent". Either way, getting any significant portion of the world using electrics would probably only be made possible any time soon by building a bunch of new nuclear plants... Pick your "poison".
Personally, I think our only real hope is some fundamental breakthrough in solar... (With our luck, when they find something, it will be arsenic-based.)
Has anyone done the calculations yet to see if replacing the nuclear plants with wind power will alter the path of the jet-stream enough to destroy the planet? :)
Add pictures here
✖

Electric cars have high MPG equiv. because they recover energy lost in ICE cars by regeneration. (Recharging the battery when hills are descended and braking.)
Add pictures here
✖
present power plants are sized for peak loads...
mid afternoon at 115 degrees, business output too....
electric rechargable vehicles would tend to be recharged during off hours, like after 5 pm till 8 am .....
that should be plenty of time to recharge batteries
Add pictures here
✖

Not would...Are.
They can be recharged from a household outlet in Europe where we only have 230V. More of a problem in some places in America.
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:02:42 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

And my point was that that works as long as very few people have them. If there were one charging in even half the houses in the U.S., 5pm-8am would no longer be "off hours".
And even if you didn't have to build more plants, using more electricity during "off hours" still means more fuel rods used up and needing to be disposed of.
Add pictures here
✖

4ax.com:
My last car used insufficient oil so that I never needed top up between services.
Add pictures here
✖