You can always tell when it's Christmas time (The Clapper)

Just turn on the TV and you can buy Chia pets and the Clapper! :)

They're never advertised the rest of the year....

I always wondered how often those Clappers turned ON or OFF from other sounds inside the home???? Like, what if someone drops a can of food, or kids toss toys on the floor, or slamming doors ????? And heaven forbid someone plays the sound track on the stereo from a Live Concert with all the audience clapping at the end of the song!

Anyone ever used one of these things?

And this year they have a Duck Dynasty Chia Pet..... WHY ?????

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Profit?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I picked one up at a garage sale. If you get the clap cadence JUST right, they work sort-of. I found that if I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted the light on, it took several tries to get it right.

My dresser has hinged hanging drawer pulls. When I close the drawer it gives a thunk, followed some time later by the click of the drawer pull hitting the drawer...and the light comes on.

I'm glad I didn't pay much for it...it's in the too crappy to use, but too good to throw out (hoarder) pile.

Reply to
mike

When I wake up in the middle of the night, the last thing I'd want to do is start clapping! I have one of those "touch the base" lamps, but I really dont need it during the night since I always sleep with a night light on.

That's sort of what I thought they would do.

I can relate to that!

I have a step on foot switch which I bought years ago, and it works good for the tree lights! The outlet is behind furniture, so it was a pain to unplug it. That step switch was a lot cheaper than a clapper too.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

The Clapper's best days have come and gone. It was best for non-'standby' devices: Table lamps, portable radios with slide-rule tuners, televisions w ith manual tuning knobs, and of course, Christmas trees and plug-in Menorah s.

Most modern equipment, if you clap it off, will not turn back on when you c lap again. You'll have to press power on the device or its remote(if appli cable). I can just see some Okie from Fenokie using it to clap on clap of f his 2013 Windows 8 computer! smh..

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I was thinking the same thing as your subject line. I saw a commercial for hte clapper a couple days ago.

My mother had one when she was old. She never said that it didn't work, but I never saw her use it when I was at her apartment.

Reply to
micky

The late night commercials turn off the TV via clapper....

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree, and also when I'm ready to go to sleep. The commercials show a woman using it to turn off the light. It would wake me up.

When I first got here 30 years ago, I put in a ceiling fixture with a second wall switch right next to my bed. They had this in the 70's in the cheapest hotels in Mexico, a switch on the wall by the bed, so I figured I could have one too.

Burglar surprise.

I have two or three such switches but with an inline switch at the end. And I made one or two. Use them for fans and tvs**.

**There was a time when turning the power off for a tv really confused it, but the one in my bedroom either still remembers the previous channel or defaults to 3, and that's all it has to know, since the signal is determined elsewhere. So I have a box from Pong or something and an on-off switch mounted in theh box along with a volume control. Much easier than IR remote control and batteries never wear out. The various wires are in a plastic "loom" like cars use.
Reply to
micky

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Nuff said ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Who in their right mind wants to see more beard on a Robertson, let alone a green grass beard?

Personally, I don't think I'd recognize any of those Robertsons on TV without their ZZ Top beards.

Reply to
nestork

You have to take Stormy with a very large dose of forgivness and kindness and amnesia. Then he's almost palatable.

Reply to
hrhofmann

dose of forgivness and kindness and amnesia. Then he's almost palatable.

Well, I guess I'm just bitter, and emetic?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Steve Goodman sings "Vegematic"

Fell asleep last night with the TV on, oh, what a dream I had Dreamed I went and answered every single one of those late night mail order ads And four to six weeks later, much to my surprise The mailman came to my front door, and I couldn't believe my eyes

When he brought the Vegematic, and the Pocket Fisherman too Illuminated Illustrated History of Life, and Boxcar Willie with a Ginsu knife A Bamboo Steamer and a Garden Weasel, too And a tie-dyed, dayglow souvenir shirt from Six Flags over Burbank

Well the doorbell rang all morning and all through the afternoon I shook with fright as it rang all night by the light of the Mastercard moon There was Parcel Post in the pantry, UPS in the hall COD to the ceiling, and I just couldn't pay for it all

I got the Egg Scrambler, with a Seal-a-Meal carrying case A set of Presidential Commemorative Plates, so I could eat my eggs off the President's face A Minute Mender, and a needle that'll knit or crochet And an autographed photograph of Rin Tin Tin at Six Flags over Burbank

I remembered I was dreaming, so I gave a mighty cheer When I awoke it was no joke, 'cause all that shit was here So if you fall asleep with the TV on, let me tell you what to do Rip the telephone out of the wall unless you want it to happen to you

You'll get the Vegematic, and the Pocket Fisherman too Illuminated Illustrated History of Life, and Boxcar Willie with a Ginsu knife Bamboo steamer, and a Smokeless Ashtray too And an all expenses paid weekend for three at Six Flags over Burbank

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

You got screwed...... You didn't get any Chia Pets! :)

Thanks for the laugh!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan