*YOU* are responsible for high gas prices

Page 8 of 8
I havn't given it a lot of research, but isn't that Mormon with the great hair a Maassaachussetts liberal, who tried to push Romney Care, in the liberal state of Mass?

Maybe. It looks like 2012 will be a Mormon with great hair vs. a man with a burr cut.

Personally, I have nothing against any Mormon, certainly not this one. If only I could get a notion of what he really believes and how he will be able to (important caveat) affect Congress. But then, even more exciting than the presidential race is the outcome of the congressional races ...
--
Best regards
Han

The article makes some interesting points. I think it overlooks what has been, IMHO, the biggest driving force behind SCOTUS retirements - ill health, either of the Justice or their spouse. Too bad Roberts is so young, relatively. We may be stuck with him for a long time. His "corporations are people" misstep is going to be his legacy. If corporations are really people, wouldn't Rick Perry have executed some by now? (-:
-- Bobby G.

We *were* talking about the price of oil. Are you attempting to change the subject?

There is a difference between doing and pretending.

Because you leftist Luddite morons won't let them! It's not about "green" it's about "cave".

No, they DON'T WORK. You need 100% backup, so you just *increased* the cost of energy by at least the cost of the generation infrastructure.

Who is this Hugh fellow and why is he given people subsidies?? (Sorry but my ability to ignore high, hanging curveballs has never been very good--grin)

Nah, the poor slob lives in the crumbs at the bottom of my laptop's keyboard.

I'm afraid they are indeed. I also think that by their drastic squeeze on spending, they will achieve the opposite of what they desire in the financial markets, but that is hopefully just a scary nightmare.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

He said "*IS* cost effective without subsidies".
That means NOW. Not some project that may be cost effective in the nebulous future.

afternoon, you're going to get an earful as I blow your ass off the road! ;-)

One good alternative is LNG/CNG. It's just missing infrastructure, something that has existed in Europe at least since the 70's. Another good (but expensive) alternative is hybrids such as the Prius, or Explorer (taxis in NY City). If NY taxi drivers really had problems with them they would have said so, and I have asked.
--
Best regards
Han

That's a good one after one of your excuses for blocking the Keystone pipeline was over CO2. Which of course is totally bogus because that Canadian oil is going to be developed and burned somewhere, be it here or China.

Better take that up with NJ transit. They were using it in some of their busses and gave it up for reasons that had nothing to do with infrastructure.

Not many vehicles on the roads there using it either.

CBS News, not exactly a conservative organization, ran a story about a week ago showing how it takes 17 years of average driving to make a hybrid pay off and what a joke they are.

The shorter the hydrocarbon chain, the greater the ration of H2O to CO2, and the greater the energy yield. Therefore there is less CO2 produced per unit of energy produced, or natural gas produces less CO2 than oil. That's simple chemistry. And you're right - if the Chinese want the oil, the Canadians may very well sell it to them. It's just that before that shale oil is even burned, it takes heat (something burned and CO2 generated) to get it out of the rocks. Plus the energy required to make it clean enough to transport and distill.

LNG/CNG engines were not that powerfull in torque. I think that has improved since. But, indeed the old buses weren't too good. In NYCity they seem to still run last I looked.

It has gone up and down. Mostly because of taxation schemes, I think.

Perhaps. But the taxi drivers didn't complain, in fact they liked the dependability compared to their last favorite, the Crown Vic. I think in heavy use a hybrid may pay off faster than in my tye of 10K miles/year. Of course, it would depend on the price of gas ... <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/20/12 7:11 AM, Han wrote:

One of the problems with CNG is the storage and fill up. Heavier tanks and hoses are needed to handle the pressure. It just isn't as handy as good old gasoline. One couldn't dump five gallons in a car's tank along the roadside.

LNG is not a good solution at all. It doesn't liquefy at normal temperatures and must be vented. Talk about GHGs! CNG isn't dense enough to be useful (and the container too heavy). If it were just a matter of delivery infrastructure you'd be seeing it now. It's not. ...and if it were, you'd be fighting that too.
<stuff snipped>

Yes, Nixon "opened" China so they could suck the life out of our economy and compete with us for precious natural resources. They just bought a used aircraft carrier from the Russkies for "scientific research." Sure. I say let sleepers sleep.

Kurt would insist it's just manufacturing that actually employs people and used to provide middle class jobs. (-: China's time will come, and it may be coming soon. They ramped up to meet what they thought was insatiable world demand and now that demand has slackened. They just posted an enormous trade deficit. The mighty rise and fall in ever-shorter spans of time. You wouldn't want to be a life insurer for empires and superpowers. The days of empires with lives measured in the centuries is long gone. The EU will be lucky to see a 100th birthday.
If I had a kid to look out for, I'd tell him to look into learning robotic repair. Botnic will be the new hot blue collar job.

People have no choice. With stagnant wages, they have to stretch their dollars and that means buying cheaper quality goods from abroad. It's the perfect example of a vicious cycle.

That's harsh. The Chinese have made good money from the Iraq war and have a number of oil deals in progress. We spill American blood to get them a good deal on Iraqi oil. How does that make sense?

Don't forget the Brazilians and the Indians and their new-found love of cars and driving. More demand equals higher prices.

What? You mean Obama doesn't have an electronic box in the Oval office where he dials in the daily price of a gallon of gasoline at your local station? How could that be? (-" I believe the hard right thinks that exercising caution after the BP disaster is unwarranted. I'm waiting for a huge tarball to be carried up to the UK by the Gulf Stream to turn the White Cliffs of Dover into the Zebra Striped Cliffs. After a huge screwup like that, the industry has to prove they can operate safely.

I've always thought a current events and maybe even an IQ test might be in order for voting. We test and license people to drive. I've read that a lot of US citizens can't pass the naturalization test. That's scary.

Definitely yes to the first. But I have reservations about the second.
Way back when I used to photograph diplomatic functions for a living, there was always food left over after a big catered event. If you knew where to be and when, you could indeed dine at no cost. The food would usually just go in the trash otherwise. Mostly, no one minded if it was picked over by photogs and such before the caterers broke down the tables. So my question is this: If you're gaining value from something that would soon have no value at all, isn't that a "free lunch?"
-- Bobby G.

Could you clarify what I am insisting? I am not as sanguine about China as others. First of all with the one-child mandate, they are about to see a retiree to worker ratio shrink that will dwarf ours. Of course with a billion or so people they probably have more give in the system, but still. As the workforce shrinks, this will go a long way to (relatively quickly) increasing the demand for scarce labor and much of the cheap labor will go away. In fact, you already see that internally with some of the mfr jobs going to the interior as wages are bid up in the cities and coastal areas. The other wild card that people seem to ignore (and what could be a wild card on so many levels) is that the civilian government has largely bought off the Army by letting them own businesses. Be interesting to see how that works out internally (and externally) when there is the inevitable really deep rescession and the Generals have to cut back on their spending.

Yet WalMart has been really really big for years before the stagnating wages. We WANT cheaper goods and have for years. Many forget that many of the things we are saying today we were saying about Japan in the 60s and 70s.

You can't get the use of a photo ID past the Dems, how are you going to get any kind of test?

That is probably one of the things it is hardest to get through to a journalist. We know there IS such a thing as a free lunch since we experience them 2-3 times a week (grin)>

Is this the same Robert Green that was bitching in this thread about how trade sanctions should not be used, even against Japan prior to WWII, because they only hurt the little guy? Yet, as usual, here you are bitching about when the USA does the opposite and opens up trade. Funny how with you America hating libs we can never do anything right.

The USA is still the largest manufacturer in the world.

I'm glad you don't have a kid to look out for. With your jaundiced view of this country, he'd turn out to be an angry hippy, not a robot repairman.

Our trade with China has been increasing through boom and bust. To suggest people only want to pay $4 for a broom instead of $10 only recently is pretty much bogus.

He doesn't dial in the price. He just blocks the Keystone pipeline. Blocks drilling in the Gulf. Blocks drilling in ANWR. Blocks drilling in other federal lands. See how that works?

You better check on that with your liberal friends. Last I heard they all have their shorts up in a knot because some states are trying to require ID to vote. The ACLU just went to the UN to complaing that USA elections should be put under their scrutiny because of it. How cool is that? We'd have the likes of China, Iran, Saudi Arabia telling us how to run elections.
On 3/18/2012 2:09 PM, Charlie wrote:

But look at all of the neat stuff China has now because of that money we send them through walmart and harbor freight. Here is an example:
http://defensetech.org/2012/03/10/awesome-new-pics-of-chinas-stealth-fighter/

Of course they don't buy everything. Some of it they simply steal. They never saw a copyright that they respected.