*YOU* are responsible for high gas prices

"HeyBub" wrote in news:cp-dnWP6b8mqHfvSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Reply to
John Carter

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:wPOdnR--_LgAqfvSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The president has control over gas prices? See the experts at FOX disagree with you:

You can't have it both ways.

Reply to
John Carter

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He left more than just an economic mess to clean up. If the EPA- an agency formed under a (real) Republican- was not around, we'd still have Love Canal and all the other toxic cesspools that have a direct effect on our drinking water and people's lives. Our water supply is in the same boat as our domestic oil supply. When we run out of gas, we walk or ride a bike, but what do you do when the water runs out?

Reply to
John Carter

One again, you're trying to confuse people who blame Obama for anything unpleasant with facts. It doesn't work. They believe Obama has a magic "gasoline price setting" machine in the Oval Office that he adjusts every morning. He keeps it right next to his birth certificate forging machine.

Stranger things have happened. Newt and Sarah could come out on top in a brokered convention. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yes, Nixon "opened" China so they could suck the life out of our economy and compete with us for precious natural resources. They just bought a used aircraft carrier from the Russkies for "scientific research." Sure. I say let sleepers sleep.

down the tubes.

Kurt would insist it's just manufacturing that actually employs people and used to provide middle class jobs. (-: China's time will come, and it may be coming soon. They ramped up to meet what they thought was insatiable world demand and now that demand has slackened. They just posted an enormous trade deficit. The mighty rise and fall in ever-shorter spans of time. You wouldn't want to be a life insurer for empires and superpowers. The days of empires with lives measured in the centuries is long gone. The EU will be lucky to see a 100th birthday.

If I had a kid to look out for, I'd tell him to look into learning robotic repair. Botnic will be the new hot blue collar job.

where we spend our

People have no choice. With stagnant wages, they have to stretch their dollars and that means buying cheaper quality goods from abroad. It's the perfect example of a vicious cycle.

That's harsh. The Chinese have made good money from the Iraq war and have a number of oil deals in progress. We spill American blood to get them a good deal on Iraqi oil. How does that make sense?

Don't forget the Brazilians and the Indians and their new-found love of cars and driving. More demand equals higher prices.

What? You mean Obama doesn't have an electronic box in the Oval office where he dials in the daily price of a gallon of gasoline at your local station? How could that be? (-" I believe the hard right thinks that exercising caution after the BP disaster is unwarranted. I'm waiting for a huge tarball to be carried up to the UK by the Gulf Stream to turn the White Cliffs of Dover into the Zebra Striped Cliffs. After a huge screwup like that, the industry has to prove they can operate safely.

I've always thought a current events and maybe even an IQ test might be in order for voting. We test and license people to drive. I've read that a lot of US citizens can't pass the naturalization test. That's scary.

Definitely yes to the first. But I have reservations about the second.

Way back when I used to photograph diplomatic functions for a living, there was always food left over after a big catered event. If you knew where to be and when, you could indeed dine at no cost. The food would usually just go in the trash otherwise. Mostly, no one minded if it was picked over by photogs and such before the caterers broke down the tables. So my question is this: If you're gaining value from something that would soon have no value at all, isn't that a "free lunch?"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No, I don't remember that and am skeptical it ever happened. Can you provide a link?

The figures you cite are for private lands. Oil production and exploration are way down on lands controlled by the government, as is government permitting for new refineries and pipelines. In fact, three large refineries in the northeast will be shutting down this summer due to their inability to obtain the right kind of crude at a reasonable price. This inability is the result of insufficient pipelines to provide the right kind of crude.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. Definitely.

As to "holding it in reserve," that's like the secretary who's in charge of the supply cabinet saying "No, you can't have a pencil. There's only one left. If I gave it to you, then I'd be out."

They physics of solar and wind do not and cannot supply our energy needs. It would take a solar collector farm the size of the Los Angeles basin (~1200 sq miles) to supply the electrical needs of California. During the day. The cost for materials and maintenance of such a contraption is almost incalculable.

The good news is that the citizens of Los Angeles would be living in the dark.

The only way to improve that situation is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun. We cannot run this country off of sunbeams, or unicorns on treadmills.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can create water by burning Hydrogen. Every other drop of water on the planet is "used" water. That is, it passed through something else before it got to you.

Read "Dune."

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:wsWdnQAklNNbi_rSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The problem of insufficient amounts of water, whether used or not, is a real problem. On top of too much water (rain, flooding from rising seawater levels) in other places. And neither problem is easy to solve.

Reply to
Han

Doesn't LA get most of its power from nuclear in Nevada?

I would add increased nuclear to your presidential proclamation list.

In addition, revamp the EPA eliminating CO2 as a pollutant and do away with the ethanol mandate and boutique gasolines.

Balance the Federal budget to stop international devaluation of the dollar.

Reply to
Frank

-snip-

I can-

5 1/2 minutes-- at least 8 hosts. I bailed after 2 minutes]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Don't want to, I disagreed with them then and I disagree with them now. Pres can influence gas prices over the longer term. I mentioned when the Bush thingy came about that while there was relatively little he could do short term for his spike, there was quite a bit he could do to at least lessen the next one.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Actually our water supply is in the same boat as our oil supply for a lot of the same reasons, mainly government screwing around with it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

But look at all of the neat stuff China has now because of that money we send them through walmart and harbor freight. Here is an example:

George

Could you clarify what I am insisting? I am not as sanguine about China as others. First of all with the one-child mandate, they are about to see a retiree to worker ratio shrink that will dwarf ours. Of course with a billion or so people they probably have more give in the system, but still. As the workforce shrinks, this will go a long way to (relatively quickly) increasing the demand for scarce labor and much of the cheap labor will go away. In fact, you already see that internally with some of the mfr jobs going to the interior as wages are bid up in the cities and coastal areas. The other wild card that people seem to ignore (and what could be a wild card on so many levels) is that the civilian government has largely bought off the Army by letting them own businesses. Be interesting to see how that works out internally (and externally) when there is the inevitable really deep rescession and the Generals have to cut back on their spending.

Yet WalMart has been really really big for years before the stagnating wages. We WANT cheaper goods and have for years. Many forget that many of the things we are saying today we were saying about Japan in the 60s and 70s.

You can't get the use of a photo ID past the Dems, how are you going to get any kind of test?

That is probably one of the things it is hardest to get through to a journalist. We know there IS such a thing as a free lunch since we experience them 2-3 times a week (grin)>

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I wonder if we could burn sun dried Liberals for fuel? I know there's not much substance to them but there are cultures that burn excrement for fuel. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No magic machine required. Heybub gave you an excellent example of what Obama could do at any time oil prices immediately:

"My fellow Americans,

"In order to hasten the recovery of our economy and reduce inflation, I, as President of the United States, am taking the following actions:

"1. Tomorrow I will direct the Secretary of the Interior to open bids for exploration and production in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve. Further, he will be directed to award winning permits within the next three months.

"2. Also tomorrow, I am waving all objections to the proposed Keystone Pipeline. I hope our Canadian brothers can get to work on this project in the shortest time possible.

"3. In addition to the above, I am renewing all drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico, and here I am referring specifically to those that were suspended due to the BP oil spill a year ago. Further, all federal moratoriums on offshore exploration and drilling, off any coast, are hereby repealed.

"Thank you and good night. "

Just blocking the Keystone pipeline should cost him the election. I can't wait to here him defend that in a debate.

Reply to
trader4

Do, your liberal solution to dealing with Japanese aggression would have been what? To continue to supply them with material so that they could kill more people, conquer more territory?

And what exactly would your solution be with Iran and Syria today? No trade sanctions, just send them a cake?

=A0>Actually, as we see with gas prices the entire *world*

What sanctions have had anything to do with oil prices? Iran is still shipping as much oil as ever.

=A0>If we want to stop Iran from building a bomb, a

Of course whenever we do that, libs like you show up bitching about how wrong that is too.

And how exactly does one do a "forced inspection"?

It's pretty much what DID happen in Iraq, but you libs opposed it.

So, we should have done what exactly? Left the country in chaos? How does that square with your above alleged concern for the poor innocent civilians that suffer under mere sanctions?

Obviously it's too complex for you because you can't grasp the basics or form consistent positions. And of all the informed opinion in the world, your the only one that considers the problem of Iran simple.

Reply to
trader4

I'd much rather see Newt elected. He's the "Contract with America" guy. I think he's much more conservative than the Massacussets liberal who pushed national health care in the liberal state of Mass.

.

Following a similar scenario, I expect you'll see a substantial decline in the price of oil the minute Romney is elected. We could have as much oil in ANWR as Saudi Arabia, but until we go look, no one will know. Romney and the Republicans want to find out. Obama and the Dems could care less.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

7858$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Those well permits have nothing to do with Obama and if it were not for his actions they would be higher. Those wells are being drilled in areas where we've known for years there was oil, but it wasn't profitable to produce it. With oil at $100, now it is.

Obama blocked drilling in the Gulf and he's blocking it in ANWR. We could have a field the size of Saudi Arabia in ANWR, but he and the Dems won't allow anyone to find out. He's also blocked the Keystone pipeline which would bring us oil from Canada. I can't wait to hear him try to defend that in the debates.

Sounds like you're describing yourself. I heard his Sec of Energy, admitting the truth in front of Congress a couple weeks ago. He said they weren't going to do anything to try to lower gasoline prices. Of course, a couple days later, he later retracted it, but we know the truth. The only way to force America into all the byzantine new energy sources Obama wants is by driving the price of current energy ever higher. Obama stated that specific to electric rates when he was running for office.

Reply to
trader4