Yet more evidence of the Depression II

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id '2705
Shows a line of UP locomotives sitting idle in a lineup in the Inland Empire of California; more than 125 at last count (more than a mile and a half of locos).
We're screwed.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:47:55 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Plenty of box cars are staged in the desert, around here. They await transfers for the correct UP train. Locomotives may just be at the service yard.
On 2/27/2009 1:20 PM Oren spake thus:

Nope, these are in what apparently is called a "LUGO" (laid-up good order) line, meaning there's nothing wrong with the power except for not enough goods to haul. Definitely an economic thing.
You *never* see this much "head-end power" parked at one time.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:35:53 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Could be a result of already implemented policy.
Port of LA will prevent trucks from entry (soon). It's about the age of the truck (Spanish speakers may be out of a job). Many old trucks haul containers, pollution became a concern. They have a new policy in the LA port.
I can say, close the port of LA and your stuff; just became, more costly. It could take a year/dayS to get products into the mid-west.
Ya gotta get it on a train.

anyone see the deconstruction show where they scrap out a engine? interesting but kinda sad.
or extreme trains on national geographic channel? host takes trains all over country
On 2/27/2009 4:57 PM Oren spake thus:

Well, keep in mind that ports like L.A. (and Oakland up here) are completely intermodal, which means that even if all trucks were banned (which I assure you will *not* happen, even though I know Oakland is considering much more stringent regulation of diesel pollution, as L.A. probably is), all the stuff coming in from China, India, Vietnam, the Phillipines, etc., could just as easily be loaded onto railcars.
But regarding that photo: those locomotives are *definitely* idled because of the economy. Costs money to pay crews to move them, dontcha know.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

i heard the desert around tucson has more airliners than ever before parked, unused.......
california unemployment rate is over 10% things are bad worldwide
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:05:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Idle trains...
LA port only has a few tracks. Most cargo is hauled from the port by trucks. Some material does move by train.
Rocket engines are shipped by train; with, an approved locomotive.