Yet another toilet flange question

Hey guys,

Usually we hear "Ive added some kind of flooring now my flange is too low, what can I do?". I've got the opposite question now...go figure, tis the way my projects seem to go!

Gutting a bath, 1st floor. The original floor was 4 layers. Got the joists, on top of that 3/4x8 planking, on top of that I had 3/4 ply, on top of that I had 1/4 luan, then tile on top of that.

Ripping out everything down to the 3/4x8 planks. Plan on toping that with

3/4 ply, then 1/4" underlayment, then vinyl. This is going to put the flange about 1/8" to 1/4" higher that the flooring.

Seems like I got a couple of options.

1, Add another layer of 1/4" underlayment. 2, Just add an extra bit of 1/4" under the flange so it's supported. 3, Cut out the cast, go with PVC. Obviously not a choice I'm particularly fond of. Current flange is almost 50 years old, but looks clean as heck, very surprised at how good it looks.

I guess my question is if I choose option 2 will the flange being higher than the floor affect the toilet being secure? Looking at the toilet it appears that the part that goes in to the flange is a bit recessed than the base which sits on the floor.

Ideas, thoughts? Thanks,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

This is going to put the flange

First thing I would do is look at the bottom of your toilet. Usually the flange will fit completely within the base, and the outflow will sit inside the flange so I don't see a problem.

Try setting the toilet base over the flange and if it sits flush to your floor with out rocking you are good to go. All I see is that you might have to trim a little more than usual off the threaded part of the tee bolts so you can get the nut covers on but that is not really a problem.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I agree with Roger on this. Do not disturb the cast iron work.

You really should have at least 3/8" or so of clearance from the top of the flange to the bottom of the bowl. That's the space the wax will be squished into. If it's too thin, there is a much greater chance that the seal won't last. You might also consider one of the "rubber" seals available now instead of wax.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If the 'wax clearance' is limited, go to a Fernco Waxless Seal. Actually, after replacing a toilet last summer using one, I will never again use a wax seal.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

LOL, me neither! I should raise it up a couple more inches and make it a real throne!

Reply to
Brian V

I don't know if you mentioned the type of flooring you were going to put down?

If you're doing tile, put down the 3/4 subfloor, then 1/2" backerboard (I like Hardibacker), then the tile. That should work out quite close to the

1-1/2" total thickness (depending on the tile thickness, of course).

If you're doing vinyl, just lay a second layer of 3/4" plywood (or 1/2" ply and 1/4" underlayment).

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I wouldn't even worry about a 1/4", But I would use 3/8" underlayment partial board. I would also leave a small gap( 1") in the dap ( caulking) at the back of the toilet so is you do ever have a problem even after a while the water will have an escape and you will see it running out, might save you a future floor repair.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave