Yesterday's Republican sweep in the US Government

You know the 'father' of that text.

Today's 'ethics' mean that it is ethical to get away with ANYTHING you can. Getting caought has become the definition of 'unethical'.
Oren wrote:

The scary thing is Nevada took Clinton over Obama in 2008. Hopefully they don't make that choice if it ever comes up again.
RobertMacy wrote:

Supposedly you can blame Tim Russert during the 2000 elections for getting it backwards.
Frank wrote:

Also note the Shrillary will be 69. I have my doubts Granny will be able to motivate the youth vote that helped bring Obama into power. I'm her age and I sure as hell wouldn't vote for a bossy old woman.

Did you marry one instead?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hell no. I had one of those wives but I got rid of her back in the '70s. Life has been a lot more peaceful since. She'd probably agree.
Todd wrote:

I'd like to think so Todd... but I'm not holding my breath!
On 11/08/2014 10:52 PM, 83LowRider wrote:

Hi 83,
We have to hold these Turkeys feet to the fire!
On the bright side, I heard that the scuttlebutt from Republican congressman was that were were not afraid of the general election, but they were afraid of the Tea Party in the primaries. So, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Here is to "begin[ing] the world over again!"
-T
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:02:32 AM UTC-5, Todd wrote:

That's light at the end of the tunnel? If they are Republicans and so afraid of the Tea Party, then it suggests they are Republicans that aren't conservative and it's going to be more business as usual.

How exactly are Republicans going to do that when Obama is still president?
On 11/9/2014 5:51 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I suspect the country will shift a lot to the left in the lame duck years.
trader_4 wrote:

It's possible/probable that they were afraid the TP would split the vote in the primaries..? My guess anyway.

Good question! There was very little mention of any kind of 'plans' by either side. Certainly nothing along the lines of what Newt laid out during the Clinton years. It was all about Obama this cycle, that you either voted with him or against him. It will indeed be an interesting 2 years ahead. If they <GOP> cannot put forth some good ideas/legislation, then we might well go ahead and prepare for Hillary. <shudder> Americans are a very fickle people, and women are just waitin' their chance.
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 02:51:17 -0800 (PST), trader_4

The Tea Party was a good movement, but they seem to have gone off too far to the right. What we really need are more moderates from both parties. People that can talk and work together. A congresscritter that realizes they are working for "the people" and not self-interest and the highest bidder.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The smarter and sensible Dems are distancing themselves from him, if for no other reason than their own survival.
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:37:56 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree that in some cases, the Tea Party is off the rails. But the "moderate" approach is what's gotten us where we are, ie big govt, $18tril deficits, more regulations.

The first thing coming will be the K pipeline. If Obama vetoes it, very likely Congress can override the veto. A lot of those Dems must be fed up with the wreckage Obama has brought to them and the party.
On 11/9/2014 7:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I am eager to work with moderate Democrats who wish to repeal gun control acts of 1934 and 1968, and to revoke the concept of firearms permits, which are prior restraint of a Creator endowed right. My kind of moderate.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I guess we differ on what a moderate is. My definition does not include bigger government.
What I'd really like to see is a strong sensible Libertarian party. The problem with the Libertarians, they have a good platform and good ideas, but they manage to get some kooks to run for office.

I certainly hope so.
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:41:24 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's the moderates of both parties that have come together to pass the legislation that has given us the big govt and big spending we have today. The only ones I see objecting to and pointing out the dangers of big govt and big spending are the conservative Tea Party types. A lot of other Republicans claim they are against big govt, but then to get deals done, they go along withexactly the opposite. We saw that happen during the Bush years. As for the Dems, I don't know of any that are speaking out on the dangers of big govt, big govt spending, do you?

Even if they're not kooks, it's impossible for them to win. All they do is siphon off enough Republican votes so the Democrat wins.

We'll see.

Nothing wrong with that and initially I supported them. One a lower local level though, some TEA party activists want more radical changes, not just limits on government.
They have to get on track or be a "party of the whacko extremists"
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:34:52 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AFAIK, they really aren't a party. It's more of a movement. What's going on in CT at the local level could be very different from what's going on in FL. I agree with you that there are certainly some Tea Party folks that could use a dose of reality, practicality, etc. For example, trying to repeal Obamacare the last few years when it was clear it would never pass the Senate and even if it did, Obama would veto it. I'm also not a fan of trying to tie issues like that to the budget or debt ceiling. We had the big debate on Obamacare and we lost. If it's possible someday in the future to repeal it, after Obama is gone, that's the time to revisit it. If either party tried to use the budget, debt ceiling, etc to undue other major issues they lost on, there would be constant chaos.
And apart from the practical side, it looks bad for the Republicans to many middle of the road voters. It's not worth a spectacle that they know they can't win. Yet because of their personal beliefs and that they are trying to keep faith with the Tea Party folks back home, you have them engaging in unproductive efforts.
Oren wrote:

I lived in Massachusetts for a brief time in the early '70s and voted for Edward Brooke. He was the first African-American to be elected to the Senate by popular vote and was a Republican. Now there's a hat trick. He was also the last Republican Senator from MA until Scott Brown. At the time, MA was about 3% black so that wasn't a factor. What ultimately sank his boat was a pro-choice stance in a heavily Catholic state.