yellow pine fence

any opinions on the use of pressure-treated yellow pine for a privacy fence?
i'm trying to decide between a galvanized chainlink fence and the yellow pine privacy fence. girlfriend and contractor are pushing for privacy fence. please tell me yellow pine will rot in three years so i can get my simple chainlink.
~;-)
Pressure treated probably won't rot out in 3 years, sorry. Also, without exception, I've found every chainlink fence I've seen to be hideously ugly. There are things to do to make them less ugly like use black-vinyl coated chainlink so it's easier to see through, but I've yet to see anything that makes them look as good as other types of fencing. The only thing that chainlink has going for it is that it can sometimes be cheaper and it's low maintenance (if you don't mind rust - even on galvanized).
Warlock wrote:

They use a lot of PT yellow pine around here (central Florida) for all manner of things. I jerked out a number of posts for barbed wire a while back, must have been in for at least 20 years...the part in the ground was maybe 1/3 rotted.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Wire fences don't provide all that much privacy, last I looked. What's wrong with a hedge?

long story short... i have arsehole neighbors on one side and i simply want a clear boundary marker and deterrent to their use of my yard. when i made up my mind to put up a fence late last autumn, i had simplicity in mind. it is others who seem to be pushing me in another direction. now it's time to decide and take action.

If you're not trying to block line-of-sight, then a simple white rail fence is better looking and less work. If you ARE trying to block line-of-sight, then metal posts with wooden pickets are probably as good a combination of ease, cost, and low-maintenance as you can get.

Yes, I have a picket fence and it means I have to use the weedwacker for the grass each time I mow the lawn. I think if I had a rail fence, I could get almost all of that done wiith the lawnmower.
OTOH, if you have a picket fence, or many other kinds, if you have a visiting dog, you can let it enjoy the yard, and it can't get out easily.

hmmm.. simple and cheap might be posts every 5-10 feet, with wire between them and a climbing plant. It is a clear boundry, cheap, and a trellis might not be regulated like a fence (check local codes of course) for height.
If you put climbing roses on it, it becomes a real deterrent. ;)
but that doesn't answer any of your questions...
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Unfortunately, the yellow pine will last quite a while, if my own fence is any indication. Can't you argue for the chain link just from a price perspective? *OR* you pay the chain link fence cost and your girlfriend makes up the difference for the privacy fence and the contractor puts up the wood fence?
Charleston SC. Several kinds of termites and powder post beetles. Treated Southern Yellow Pine fence installed in 1985. I'm have three of twenty posts reset for the first time. Rest of the fence is in good shape. TB

I wouldn't want a privacy fence. I't like living in a prison.
And if she's a girlfriend, she only gets an opinion, not a vote. The contractor doesn't get a vote at all.
Chainlink is ugly, although I agree that the black vinyl coating looks better. The commercials claim they are not so noticeable from a (small?) distance. I wouldn't be surprised if that is true.

Both are ugly so it depends on your interpretation of ugliest. The PT can be stained to look better.
How important is privacy? The wood fence will also block some air flow.
Check out the price of cedar.