XXXX Termites

We have slab floors in Southern California
We have had subt. termites build tunnels in the garage, trying to get into the wood structure. They were easy to get rid of by drilling holes in the garage floor and injecting poison.
Yesterday we noticed a mud tunnel next to a baseboard in the hall in the center of the house.
How do we drill holes in the slab without hitting a water pipe in the slab? ?
How can the termites get to the center of the house, covered by a slab? What is the best way of dealing with them?
Of course, we will have to deal with a pest control company but it would be nice to know about potential alternatives before we get involved with them.
Can we get rid of them by trenching around the house and poisoning the soil on the outside of the foundation (footings)?
Thanks for any input
--
Walter

Termites can travel a LONG way underground or a colony could live beneath the center of the house. Faced with a similar dilemma, I called a pro. $$$
-rev
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

get to under the slab and then maybe can get them if they travel in that area. Of course have a pro do it since you have active termintes.
MC wrote:

dig big hole on permiter of home, drill under slab, you can drill a long way this way.
i recommend a pro, since termites can eat you out of house and home