WWYD?

Page 2 of 3
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 12:48:16 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

You really have no clue what my initial comment was all about, do you?
Let me make it simple:
My question had nothing - absolutely nothing - about the role of religion in anyone's life. I couldn't care less what your religious beliefs are. My question was nothing more than an inquiry into why you chose to connect 2 things that have no connection
For some reason, you chose to make a connection between atheism and knowing right from wrong.
That's akin to saying:
I may be Japanese, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.
Or
I may be short, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.
Or
I may be female, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.
There was simply no reason to make the comparison you made, expect perhaps, because some idiot made a stupid comment ~30 years ago. Do you honestly think that people need to be told that atheists know the difference between right and wrong?
Again, don't turn this into a religious discussion. Leave it right where it started, with a connection between 2 things that had no need to be connected.
On 10/25/2015 3:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You still don't see it, do you?
It is illegal to drive while drunk. Drunk driving is WRONG. There are SECULAR laws that state this. Nothing in any religious texts make this claim!
In most jurisdictions, extramarital affairs are not ILLEGAL. Yet, they are considered "WRONG". Because of religion.
There is nothing illegal about me saying "Christ, what a screw up". Society says this is OK.
Religion says otherwise.
Society says it's perfectly acceptable to conduct business on Friday evenings, Sundays, etc. Nothing Wrong about it.
Yet, jews would consider Friday night business to be Wrong. Christians would consider Sunday business to be wrong.
Clearly, religion plays a role in deciding what is Right and what is Wrong.

Being Japanese has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

Height has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

Gender has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

RELIGION HAS *EVERYTHING* TO DO WITH RIGHT AND WRONG. By extension, LACK of religious belief leaves open the possibility that there is no "moral compass" -- no "teachings" to impose that sense of Right or Wrong.
I can COVET your belongings, your wife, take YOUR lord's name in vain, do business on YOUR holy days ... because none of those things are WRONG (illegal) in the eyes of a secular (non religious) world.
You would be (personally) well served reading some of the writings -- pro and con -- regarding atheism v theism. See some of the "issues" that are commonly addressed and how both sides "spin" these -- in an attempt to claim their opinions are "authoritative". A read through most of the theistic writings will leave you with the very distinct impression that these folks believe their theism endows them with this "Knowledge" (as an absolute -- yet, based on an intangible "belief").
I'll now ignore your posts. In a day or two of doing so, my server will spare me the distraction of even *seeing* them. Clearly, we have nothing to say to each other that the other is willing to hear.
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 6:11:04 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

How about the 5th Commandment?

You *can* conduct business, but not exchange money.
On 10/25/2015 5:23 PM, bob_villa wrote:

No one has been killed! Driving drunk doesn't imply a death!

Fine: Society says it's perfectly acceptable to EXCHANGE MONEY on Friday evenings, Sundays, etc. Nothing Wrong about it.
Yet, jews would consider Friday night MONEY EXCHANGING to be Wrong. Christians would consider Sunday MONEY EXCHANGING to be wrong.
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 7:32:29 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

s claim!

Too often is does...and the 5th also applies to tattoos (or piercings), dru gs, or gluttony.

venings,

enings,

Now you're being juvenile by capping! ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡? ?)
On 10/25/2015 5:42 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Ah, I guess that must have been in one of the addenda to the original commandments?

How else would you suggest I draw attention to the difference between the original post and this version of it? Use *red* ink??
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 7:56:06 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

There are many ways...at least as many as your irrelevant and unnecessary comeback responses.
On 10/25/2015 6:05 PM, bob_villa wrote:

You didn't seem to understand the role of the caps. And, resorted to an ad hominem attack on my use of them. Or, were you just being juvenile?
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 9:13:11 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

Here's just one of *many* sites that offer alternatives to using caps for emphasis, since caps are commonly considered to be the internet equivalent of yelling. Nobody likes to be yelled at, so you turn off more readers then you impress when you yell - or when they think you are yelling, even when you think you are not.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117390/netiquette-capitalization-how-caps-became-code-yelling
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 9:37:42 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nitpick: than not then
Durn autocorrect...
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 8:44:31 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

for emphasis, since caps

y likes to be yelled

en they think you

-caps-became-code-yelling

You don't have to nitpick yourself! ᕙ(░ಥ╭ ͜ʖ╮ಥ░)━☆゚.*? ?。゚
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 10:31:00 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

s for emphasis, since caps

ody likes to be yelled

when they think you

ow-caps-became-code-yelling

͜ʖ╮ಥ░)━☆゚.*? ?。゚
I figured I'd do it before Don Y did. ;-)
On 10/25/2015 8:32 PM, Don Y wrote:

Catholics are not supposed to perform servile work on Sunday. You can exchange money by using your church envelope.
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id6428 Originally the work done by serfs from which they were freed on Sundays and holy days in order to worship God. Until recently, servile work, forbidden on Sundays, was work that was chiefly physical. At present servile work is heavy manual labor, or such work as in a given society people commonly associate with strenuous effort and do not engage in when they have the freedom to avoid it. Implicit in the Church's prohibition of servile work on Sundays is fidelity to the divine commandment to keep holy the Sabbath. This means avoiding activities that would hinder renewal of soul and body, i.e., needless work or business, unnecessary shopping or housekeeping.
On 10/25/2015 6:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Christianity includes more than just Catholics.
Historically, the (christian) sabath (sat PM-> sun) was intended to be a time void of commerce and recreation. At one time, there were laws against drinking, working, traveling, etc. on Sunday.
As a kid, I can recall the *beer* display in the supermarket being covered (with a giant "window shade" sort of device) after 8PM on Saturday -- even though the supermarket remained open (and into Sunday!). Yet, we could drive across the state line and buy until 11P. Here, there are no prohibitions regarding beer/liquor on Sundays.
In Colorado, you couldn't sell a car on Sunday. Here, the dealerships are typically closed on Sunday -- but, my understanding is that this is by convention, not law (i.e., you can find select vendors who are willing to do business on Sunday).
I.e., all of these things are still "wrong" in the religious sense yet the secular world has decided they are "OK".
OTOH, the catholic church seems to routinely decide to rewrite what's "acceptable" -- in a manner that is suggestive of a marketing campaign! (gays, second marriages, etc.) I wonder if they've got some grand master copy of their bible locked away someplace and a big jar of WhiteOut... :>
On 10/25/2015 9:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

As a kid? Come here to CT and you can see that every night at 9 PM. Just the past couple of years you can buy it on Sunday for a few hours.

Pope Francis is dragging them up into the 18th century so I guess there is hope for modernization.
On 10/25/2015 7:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I grew up in central CT (but haven't lived there in ~40 years). I thought they had changed those laws? We used to run up to make quick jaunts up to Springfield when the packy's closed.

Marriage among the clergy is just a "rule", not dogma. E.g., Peter (as in "upon this rock I will build my church") was married. I.e., Like a used car salesman, "everything is negotiable" :>
Elsewhere (one of these threads) I mentioned a book regarding the prices we pay for things. One of the points made in the text was something along the lines of religions (or other things) that *require* more of their "customers/devotees/followers" tend to have more *intense* (devoted) followers. (note that this isn't talking about absolute quantities but, rather, the intensity of their "devotion" -- for want of a better word). The explanation (loosely speaking) was that these folks have "invested" a fair bit in the product and, thus, have more to lose (figuratively) by abandoning it.
So, make time to pray 6 times a day and, the theory goes, you'll cling to that practice more than "show up for Easter Sunday mass".
If this argument is valid, then *changing* can be seen as a bad strategy as it "cheapens" the product and the investment those have made in it.
By way of a silly analogy, most folks would consider a $1000 item more precious than a $50 item -- regardless of the actual cost/value embodied in the item. Spending 3 hours "at services" each Sunday probably leads to stronger ties than spending 45 minutes (the length of a mass when I was a kid) "whenever you CHOOSE to go".
On 10/25/2015 9:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

Is the RC membership or donations level dropping? Might be making a larger tent, and more inclusive?
I don't remember reading in the New Testament, about Jesus seeing empty pews, and whiting out a couple of the commandments.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/25/2015 11:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Have any of you figured out which religion is the 'official' religion?
On 10/26/2015 4:21 AM, God wrote:

I'm favoring any church that serves chocolate milk and chocolate chip cookies for sacrament.
On 10/26/2015 08:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I know. ;-)