WTB - Self taps

Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately 1/8" hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets together. Need about 500 of them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This sounds like the screws used on Pro Panel roofing. Ace Hardware in our small town has them, try Ace> ww

Reply to
WW

I'm allergic to retail.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They ain't that expensive, even at retail. You would lose money with the shipping costs for 2-3 boxes. If you can't stomach the Borg, check local industrial park for a supply house. While most don't encourage civilian customers, if you have cash and know what you want without hand-holding, most won't throw you out.

Reply to
aemeijers

Did you price them at McMasterCarr.com? I love those guys-- prices are right- shipping aint bad- they've got tons of stuff.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

or

chaniarts

On 8/22/2011 6:25 PM, aemeijers wrote: ...

Or Fastenal...

--

Reply to
dpb

There was a guy on Ebay selling bulk SS screws pretty cheap a while ago.

Reply to
gfretwell

aemeijers wrote in news:Av6dnYSTEdDceM_TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The industrial-supply places in my area don't care who you are. Their business customers typically have accounts with them, but cash and credit are just fine as well.

Prices are good, and selection/quality is often better than your standard retail places.

The only real drawback for the DIY user is that these places are often not open weekends or evenings, since the bulk of their clients are buying for business use, and shop during business hours.

Reply to
Tegger

THAT's the name I was trying to remember! They have one of those here. Only been in a couple times, since they basically are open the same hours I work, and don't really want to sell in less than box lots, which I seldom need. Their prices for vanilla stuff other than fasteners (ie, drill bits and stuff) are sometimes higher than the Borg, but to their main customer base (the factories in the industrial park) getting the stuff in a hurry and getting back, is more important than a few bucks. Like most supply houses, designed for people that walk in with a detailed list or a sample, not for people that just walk in with a puzzled look on their face and needing an explanation.

Reply to
aemeijers

Fastenal .............. $.17 each by the thousand.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

aemeijers wrote in news:cPadnSnit7Dmj87TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I find their quality is often better than the retail places.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I find the guys that work the counters in such places are usually much more knowledgeable than the floor staff at Home Depot. The industrial supply houses tend to have a fraction of the staff turnover that retail places have, so you're often dealing with guys that have /lots/ of experience selling what the store sells.

Reply to
Tegger

I always ask for a credit app, and fill it in and turn it in. I pay cash, but if one has an account, I think you get some kind of price break.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On 8/22/2011 10:48 PM, Tegger wrote: (snip)

That isn't what I meant to imply- I know the guys at the supply houses are usually very bright. I just meant, that unless you can catch them at a slow time, like an hour after lunch, they may not have the extra time to spend with you, because their bread and butter customers need to get in and out quick. The few times I have been in the local Fastenal (or the real plumbing or electrical supply places), they only had 3-4 warm bodies on duty for the whole place. You don't wanna go there first thing in AM when the parking lot is full of trucks and tradesmen that need to get their parts and get to jobsite.

Reply to
aemeijers

Usually your discount is based on your volume.

If you can cough up the name of one of their big customers, you can get a good deal, just say you are paying cash.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, I have done that a time or two- showed my work ID and mumbled something about it wasn't worth my time to put in a voucher for such a piddly purchase, and paid cash. In most cases, most of the parts were for work.

Reply to
aemeijers

I did locate a packet of 250 for $10 on ebay. They are checking if they have more. With shipping, that makes them about four cents apiece.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B