wrought iron gate doesn't close properly

Hi, I need to fix a wrought iron gate that doesn't close properly. Can I sledge hammer it or wonder bar it? I don't want to hurt it....about a foot of it is maybe bent? It protrudes a little by the post so the gate doesn't close. What do you all suggest?
caitken,
You make it sound as if the gate needs to be rehung rather than beat upon. Can you arrange some pictures?
Dave M.

We all suggest some pictures. It's a bit tough to suggest a sledge hammer when we don't know what you will be sledging.
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 21:44:02 +0000, caitken

I suggest you find out what is wrong before taking a hammer to it. You can make it worse. Could be many things and without seeing it, impossible to say.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is called wreckless approach w/o logic, LOL!
caitken wrote:

I assume that the bent part hits the post which prevents it closing? If not, I'll have to assume something else.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY