Wrought Iron

I moved into a previously owned house that has many decorative wrought iron items, including a swinging entry gate. As expected, many have rust.
Given the numerous "nooks and crannies", how does one prepare those surfaces for spray painting. Sanding and steel wool will be an improvement, but I am sure rust will remain. Is there a coating, to be applied on the rusted surfaces?
Most appreciative, for any guidance!
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 2:33:27 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:

A few options can be found here:
http://www.oldhouseonline.com/how-to-remove-rust/

If these are not to cumbersome to remove, take them to a sand blaster and have them blasted. Then shoot on a coat or 2 of primer and a couple coats of paint. That should last you a decade. They are a lot easier to paint if you have them loose too.