wrong fasteners in treated lumber

Greetings,

If the wrong fasteners (common drywall screws) were used in treated lumber (post 2003 formula) what is the life expectancy of the fasteners? How long before they may corrode and fail?

Thank you for your time.

PS: Answers such as "replace them" or "add to them with correct fasteners" are not helpful. Answers such as 1234 years are helpful.

Reply to
william.deans

I doubt the lumber will last a century, what more a millenium...

"May" I'd guess within 6-8 months, year outside. "Will" anything beyond that is becoming pretty certain at least some will. It will depend on just how wet the material was. Overall, I'd guesstimate a couple-three years tops before serious problems, again less if attempting to be structural rather than just holding deck board down, say.

--

Reply to
dpb

" snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com" wrote in news:b867b67c-7d32- snipped-for-privacy@u7g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

1234 years.
Reply to
Red Green

Questions detailing the circumstances of the installation are helpful.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you don't replace them or add to them with correct fasteners they will only last 1234 years.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Interesting how you want an uber specific answer only and you didn't even furnish details of the installation.

Reply to
George

I think the closest to advice in this case would be:

If this is screws holding cosmetic trim, about 1 year outdoors. If it is for anything load bearing, such as parts of a deck, it needs to be taken down and started over with the correct fasteners before use. It isn't safe starting NOW.

Seriously.

Reply to
salty

And, to reinforce what my esteemed colleague said. Somewhere between 1233 and 1235 years. Depending on weather, climate, humidity, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Without more info as the application just take some out & inspect.

Reply to
BQ340

BQ340 wrote in news:hekg90$mjs$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

You really think, without pulling a number out of your ass, you can give an accurate answer?

Reply to
Red Green

No idea what you have done. Structural?

Documented 1/2" diameter j-bolts eaten more than half way through in less than a year. I suspect your drywall thorns are already gone.

Reply to
DanG

As others have hinted- it isn't just corrosion that makes drywall screws poor fasteners for anything other than drywall-- They have very little [aka *no*] shear-strength. So their inadequacy is immediate if they are being relied upon to hold something together that is subjected to shear forces.

Just wait until they fail and replace them a week earlier.

FWIW- I just ran across a couple sheetrock screws that had been in some newish treated lumber for a year or so. They had just started turning white. So if you put some in a treated lumber wall to hold up some pictures- you should be ok for a few years.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Depends on the use. Drywall screws can break immediately if the structure is stressed. They are brittle and break easily with no corrosion.

If it is a dog house, let it go until you see problems. If it is a deck or stairs, replace them tomorrow before company comes and walks on the structure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

re: How long before they may corrode and fail?

I've got "common drywall screws" in the trim of my deck for holding up Christmas lights. They've been there for years.

I used some "common drywall screws" under my second story deck to hang some items while I spray painted them. They corroded with 6 months.

re: Answers such as 1234 years are helpful.

Are answers such as "it depends" or "never can tell" helpful?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Drywall screws are for drywalls.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup!

Before screws, we tossed "blue" nails in our mouth, spit them out as needed and nailed them with a rock hatchet.

Miss a stud - add another nail and/or pull one out.

Reply to
Oren

Or indoor non-structural projects.

Reply to
willshak

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hek6mi $4et$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Now there's one my Ex never called me! Pretty much got all the rest though. None were synonyms.

Reply to
Red Green

Drywall screws won't last very long outside even in regular wood. Don't even think about using them.

Reply to
Bob F