Wriring questions

Entirely correct.

Doug Miller

It is also prudent aside from codes. If something on the same circuit as the fridge trips the breaker, you may not know that until the food is spoiled. Also, the maximum load on a circuit is 80% of the rating so the maximum should be 16A.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

electrician

receptacle

electrician

extreme

circuit

Sorry to follow up on my own post, but I got some of your other postings only after I wrote this. I see that you've already mentioned Edison circuits. The key point is that in such a circuit the two hots (red and black) are on opposite legs and so can share a neutral. Thus you cannot extend it to more than two hot wires.

In your list of circuits (which I count as nine), any loads that are close together are good candidates for wiring this way. The DW and disposal, for example; and maybe the two appliance circuits.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

I do understand now. That's why I posted the question and didn't do anything before getting the answer. I wouldn't though scare people because they post a question. I see the advatange of this newsgroup is to gain knowledge befor doing something. As opposite to you I consider wriring the easiest of home improvement. Yes, it is dangeruous if done incorrectly. However, the number of rules is quite limitted and if followed combined with understanding wiring is not a rocket science. Finally, there is inspection that ensures safetly and adherence to code. After looking at electrician's work and reading a couple of books I rewired almost entire my house, installed sub-panel 16 120 V and 4

220 V circuits. Had electrical inspector checked all work twice (rough and final), passed from first time. Never had any problems since then. I myself never though combined even two circuits together.
Reply to
Sasha

why two? i mean if you want to overkill the situation, why not 3 or 4? did you decide you need 2 for some specific reason or just because it sounds good? one should be plenty.

as was said by others, you can probably share these.

split these to two seperate circuits. it makes absoslutely no sense for you to start splitting your kitchen into many different circuits yet insist on putting these on the same one. in fact, if there are two items that i would say you should absolutely seperate, it's these two.

personally, i have my range hood and microwave on the same circuit.

doesnt need its own circuit. put it on the same light circuit as the rest of the kitchen lights.

Reply to
xrongor

sasha, its time for you to own up to this project. if its not rocket science, why are you asking these questions? the answers are easy to find for one who is looking.

get off the newsgroups and go down to the library.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

That 80% maximum applies to continuous loads. Nearly all home appliances are

*not* continuous loads as defined in the NEC.

Doug Miller

Nobody's trying to scare you. You've missed the point: it's your questions that are scary. They display a level of understanding that is insufficient to the task.

Next time you reply to a post, please quote the post you're replying to. It makes it much easier to figure out what you're talking about.

Doug Miller

Why two? Best answer is that the National Electrical Code *requires* two.

Wrong.

Doug Miller

well if its code, its code.

but if you have all the other appliances seperated out i dont see the point...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Get a post hole digger, the type that you turn with a cross handle as it goes into the ground, not the style with two halves that you bring together. With one of those and some extension pipe added on, you can dig a hole probably 15 ft deep or so, certainly deep enough to determine if the water level is above or below your basement level. Of course, that assumes you live in an area with reasonable soil, not on a mountain full of rocks.

Firstly I know very little (if nothing about Boilers) but wish to learn and eventually be able to maintain my own boiler myself and this seems a good place to learn how to start.

I have a 'Direct Combination Cylinder' boiler and my white meter heating has recently stopped working (the lower cylinder). I believe this may be the thermostat and I wish to change this myself but haven?t the slightest clue how to proceed. Before I buy a thermostat Im going to switch my top and bottom ones to see if this fixes the problem (although I will have to wait overnight to find out). Ive also been told to push the reset button before doing anything on my boiler to see if this fixes it, but I cant find the button. I am confident enough to change the thermostat myself, but I would rather ask advice before attempting it.

Please can someone let me know what I should do and in what order? (obviously switch the power off at the mains first) but after that???... (yes I know that little about boilers) :) and also where the reset switch would lilkley be?

I have attached some photos.

Thanks very much for any advice in advance

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 2.jpg | |Download:
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Run a conduit with individual conductors and share the ground wire (the green one). I personally would not share any neutral wires, even if it's permitted.

Reply to
scott_z500

Try running a blender and an ice-cream-machine on the same circut sometime, and you'll figure it out.

Reply to
Goedjn

My electrician set up a similar circuit and put them on separate breakers (that could potentially even both be on the same phase) -- i.e., not a single double pole breaker.

When I challenged him, he said that the double pole breaker is only required if both circuits are connected to a split outlet to prevent shock if you open the box.

Can any of you point to where in the NEC it (surely) requires that you use a single double pole breaker?

Reply to
blueman

A double pole isn't absolutely necessary. The main panel is one large Edison circuit. In my house (sigh) that includes a 60 amp fuse on both legs of the mains entering the house. The whole house is supplied by 2 hots and 1 neutral. As long as you have your 'extended' Edison circuit with the hots on opposite legs of the two 110 lines coming in, they can share a common neutral safely. They do not need to share a double pole breaker.

Reply to
Olaf