Wrench set storage

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the middle. I store the metric on one side the English standard on the other. Doesn't really work out all that well. I've mended the bag over the years, but realize this is not an efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.
Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old fashion wrenches from time to time.
I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying process over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store these items.
Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need to get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.
Charlie S. wrote:

Maybe one of these dividers: http://tinyurl.com/q42re
I use the divider racks in my box but remember the canvas roll my dad used to use when he worked on the Hornet...

If you can sew, make a pouch out of some old denim. I use the legs from worn out blue jeans.
Al

Or undyed canvas from a fabric store. It's easy to make tool rolls.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

You've been watching too many episodes of Monk. I just toss them into a compartment in the tool box and take out the ones I needed when I need them. Yes, they do get mixed up.
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:49:20 GMT, "Charlie S."

Put a dab of red paint on the "commie metric" wrenches so they are easy to sort out. Sockets sometimes have a knurled ring on the metrics, (like Snap on)
Is there a question here?
--
Steve Barker

"Charlie S." < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Charlie S. wrote:

big carabiners and put them on that. If they are open end wrenchs you have to do something different.
I believe in socks and rubber bands made from inner tubes. Get an inner tube and cut bands about 1/2" to 1" wide and you have big heavy duty rubber bands. But a band on each set of wrenches and put in a sock. Or, put in a sock, fold over, and put a band on it.

If the two sets are marked with differently coloured tape (round the shank) sorting into the two sets takes no time.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

I cleaned mine with rubbing alcohol, then dipped each end into some oil paint; works well and soon's you use one, the paint in the jaws slips right off. Tried tape, taped just the SAE, don't need to do both, but the tape doesn't stay. Plus it bothered my hands on the larger wrenches.
FWIW, Pop
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:49:20 GMT, "Charlie S."

Not the most elegant but I store all my wrenches in a metal tool box. Since I have less than 20 wrenches I don't bother to sort them out. But if I had more, I probably make a wall rack to organize them. I made two separate wooden racks for my screwdrivers. The racks hold the screwdrivers such that the tips can be seen and they have "L" hooks in the back so I can hang the racks on wall pegboard.

Just get a nice big toolbox and put the wrenches and sockets in order of size -- separated by metric and standard. My dad gave me a really nice, older Snap-On rolling toolbox that would probably cost $2500 if bought new now. But you can get a decent one (Husky brand?)at HD for a couple hundred. Or a Craftsman at Sears. Or a cheapie at the Harbor Freight. Or buy a used one from Craig's List or ebay (one that's within your local pickup distance). Make a small house set to keep in the catch-all drawer if you have a lot of tool redundancy -- variety of screwdrivers, pliers, common size wrenches, adjustable wrench, etc.. Then you don't have to go out to the shed or garage to fetch a tool for common repair tasks in the house. Make one for your truck. Make one for your child who just moved into their own place, etc..
-

I thought of just getting a bigger toolbox, never really thought of a larger rolling type unit. It might be a bit of overkill. I don't have a lot tools and I'm not a craftsman.
Going to paint the metric wrenches as suggested, test out the carabiner idea and buy a bigger tool box if needed.
Make a small house set to keep in the catch-all

Good ideas... Thanks!