Wow

The Motor City was home to 1.9 million people in 1950, at the time nearly identical in size to Los Angeles. Today, 700,000 inhabit Detroit, or less than a fifth the size of L.A. That works out to 2.2 people leaving Detroit every hour, 24 hours a day, for the last 63 years. If the number of people who left Detroit in the last 60 years formed their own city, it would be the nation's ninth largest, ahead of Dallas, Texas.
But, would they burn down their own neighborhoods?
On 7/30/2013 5:42 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

On 7/30/13 4:42 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Some guy wanted to buy up some of the vacant buildings in Detroit, demolish them, and plant some crops on the land. I think he was thinking more in terms of truck farming or trees rather than conventional farming. I haven't heard anything for some time about his plan.
After removing the foundations and crack house debris, syringes, and ash from the house fires. Might not be feasable. And the LIPs would steal all the crops and harvest.
On 7/30/2013 6:55 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

You underestimate the human spirit, Stormin. Get some facts. Here are a couple of places to start:
http://www.hantzfarmsdetroit.com/
http://www.freep.com/article/20130520/NEWS01/305200021/urban-gardening-detroit
Tomsic
"Food insecurity and social justice issues". Well, I see the liberals are still running Detroit. It was nice to see some pictures of teenagers tending gardens. I hope that works out well for Detroit. I suspect it will work as well as the War on Poverty, March Against Violence, Occupy Wall Street, and all the other liberal leftist programs that have come and gone.
Yes, I'm a lot cynical. Just as what King Midas touches turns to gold, what the government touches turns to cost overruns.
On 7/30/2013 10:37 PM, Tomsic wrote:

It's happening in several cities around the Great Lakes. Cleveland now has a large downtown truck garden some of which is under cover so vegetables can be grown year round. There's a fruit orchard and even a vineyard. The first crop of grapes will be harvested this year.
Tomsic
On 7/30/2013 10:27 PM, Tomsic wrote:

I've been looking at the comparison with Cleveland. Cleveland also underwent form of bankruptcy 1977 under then mayor, Dennis Kucinich. City today is declining still and losing residents and abandoned houses are being demolished for urban gardening. Don't think the city is in as bad shape as Detroit.

I visited my Sister when she lived in Detroit in the late 70's. It was more then obvious at that time that the city was a rotting cesspool. The freeways in the middle of the day were so unsafe if you had a flat and left your car unattended that the chances that you'd still have tires and wheels on it when you returned were about 50-50. I saw this over and over again. I have NEVER seen cars on a freeway, then or since, anywhere else in the US that had their wheels stolen like this in broad daylight on the side of a busy freeway. They need to take Detroit and burn it to the ground. Virtually every major city that's been controlled by democrats for most of it's existence is going the way of Detroit.
Some good videos on Youtube, about Detroit, and the problems there. Lack of services such as police and ambulance. And there are plenty of arsonists, the fire department is under funded, and way over worked. The empty houses are numerous.
On 8/3/2013 4:37 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On 8/3/2013 3:37 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Even when the numb sheeple are shown what Chicago has become, they will say that's awful then something shiny attracts their attention out of the corner of their eye......iPhone! Cool, where did you get yours?! They have completely forgotten the plight of the city you were just talking about. Perhaps if it were texted to them over and over it would hold their attention for more than a minute? ^_^
TDD
On 8/3/2013 4:37 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I remember a nice clean city 50 years ago and then what you describe 25 years ago. It was not that the city government did not see what was coming. They should have been clamping down on crime and trying to attract new businesses. Lots of other cities have been through this and survived.

When I was in J-school in the mid-70s I had a retired Marine friend who did a summer internship with a Detroit newspaper. He said he was shot more often in Detroit over the summer than during his VN tour.
That settles it. The US should immediately pull out of Detroit, and Washington DC.
On 8/3/2013 9:48 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

On 8/3/2013 8:48 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

But, but, guns are illegal for most people to own in Detroit and there are "Gun Free Zones" all over Detroit and only police should have guns because they don't go around shooting people unless they deserve it and if your house is broken into by an innocent young Black child, you should call the police then run hide under the bed because a burglar or home invader would never think of looking for you there so we need to make guns illegal except for police and soldiers and stuff.... o_O
TDD