Would you pay $100 for a used Maytag Neptune washer

Would you pay $100 for a used Maytag Neptune washer

I've agreed to purchase a used Maytag Neptune washer from a "mom and pop" used appliance company for a very low price. Problem is is that I haven't seen it yet. I asked the seller if it works. He said it did. Asked if it had any moldy or musty smell to it. Said it didn't. Mentioned that the top plastic door had been broken and previous owner was unhappy about that. Didn't get into details of where it's from, why it was replaced, etc. The price is so low that I wonder if it's stolen. But, then I don't think appliances like washers get ripped off too often.

They're supposed to deliver it Monday (today is Thursday). I may be able to have a look at it tomorrow. When I inspect the machine, what should I do?

I'm thinking I'll write down the serial and model number and call Maytag to inquire about it's repair history. I'll also sniff around for the mold problem. I've seen new ones and have been shown how they added extra holes to help the drainage around the front seal, so I'll look to see if it's been upgraded.

Being able to see it do a complete wash cycle may not be possible. But, if they'll give me some kind of assurance or guarantee I might still go for it. When I said cheap, I didn't mention that it was only $116 delivered. That's what they sell all their washers for as far as I know.

I had an opportunity to buy a brand new Neptune for $500 plus an optional $99 five year service plan but passed based on all the problems reported around the net. Apparently that machine didn't work the first day. Repair was reportedly a loose wire, but the customer had already received a replacement.

I'm not looking for 20 years of service out of this unit. Two to five would be fine. At that time I'll invest in a good matching washer and dryer setup. So, for $100 I figure this one is worth a shot. If it takes another $100 or so in parts that's probably OK. My only concern is that there might be problem after problem or that I might end up with a flooded house.

I'm pretty handy and tech savvy and willing to mess around with some repairs. Plus I have a very reasonable appliance tech to fall back on.

Reply to
Mail Ias

even if it needs a little work you probably cant do too badly

randy

Reply to
xrongor

------------------------- If you can do a partial fill and drain, then advance it to spin to verify spin works, that would certainly help. For the price you're paying, I wouldn't expect anything in the way of followup from the seller if something is wrong. I'd treat it as an "as-is" purchase.

Reply to
Abe

I was at a customer's house yesterday. She had a Neptune and said she'd never own another one.

Reply to
HeatMan

The Neptunes have had some problems. You may want to do some searches on the Web about them. I understand getting them fixed properly has been a problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As you probably know, that washer has a very troubled past. They soon developed problems with water retained in the machine between washings and the repair cost and rate of repairs was terrible. But you are getting an expensive washer for a supposed bargain price. It may work for you if you can do some repairs yourself, although parts for it are expensive. Personally, a used old Kenmore/Whirpool will run the pants off a Neptune and they are easily repaired if needed. And a cheaper model Maytag with basic features is very good also.

Reply to
Al Bundy

So, do you get repeat business? The way you insult people on the USenet group, makes me wonder if you treat customers impolitely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I get quite a bit of repeat business. How about you? You left the locksmith business to try HVAC.

In fact, the lady I mentioned refers me to all her neighbors and her employer.

Reply to
HeatMan

I would. We have a Neptune for 3 years now. We're a family of 6 it runs almost everyday. Had one problem about a year after we got it. Circuit board replaced under warranty.

TP

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
TP