Would You Buy This House?

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Where I live $50,000 won't even buy you a small nice duplex, much less a home. By duplex I mean only ONE side.

Prices in Pittsburgh are very affordable, but $50,000 may be a bit misleading. As with anywhere, location, size and condition play a significant role. In my neighborhood, most homes are still going for under $100,000. In areas like Squirrel Hill, you'll find million-dollar homes (as well as more affordable homes). Areas that are experiencing a resurgence (such as Lawrenceville) have a range of prices, but are still generally cheap.
The cost of living is a very appealing aspect of Pittsburgh. When my wife and I bought our home, our monthly mortgage payment was lower than what we had been paying for rent (which wasn't a lot).
mark

Would I buy it? No.
Should you buy it? Maybe.
Considerations: Worst case scenario, can the house be taken down and the property still be worth the price paid?
Can you live in it for a few years "as is" and do what work is needed? Will that increase the value over cost?
Sounds like it will need some work, perhaps major. Can you handle that emotionally as well as financially?

doesn't matter. Yes I would buy it.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Offer him 47k for it. When he cusses, offer about 50k. Then give him your phone number and walk away. ;-)
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Hmmm, Bone and flesh. Is the bone sound? Flashy flesh does not mean much.