Would You Buy A Touchless Toilet Flush Kit?

Page 1 of 2
Upgrade your toilet to a no-touch flush. This easy-to-install retrofit kit brings a KOHLER touchless flush to almost any toilet. Once it's installed, just hold your hand over the tank sensor to activate the flush. No handle to touch means fewer germs to pick up or leave behind. Touchless module projects an electromagnetic field through the top of the tank lid that senses your hand, causing the toilet to flush.
$100.00.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/productDetails.jsp?productNumber 54

No way, I wouldn't buy it.
Germs are all around us. We couldn't live without them. Fear of germs is a mental illness. Don't set out on the path of trying to live in a sterile environment, it's not good for you.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/06/2014 12:20 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:

Now if there was an electronic ass wiper...
I'm not going to Google but I am sure there is one.
On 05/06/2014 12:01 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

No. When I run out of toilet paper, I wipe with one hand and flush with the other.
On 5/6/2014 1:54 PM, Buster Hymen wrote:

My wife bought a toilet brush. It works OK, but I'm sticking with paper.
On 05/06/2014 02:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A 1/2 inch copper fitting brush works too:
http://smile.amazon.com/Forney-70471-Plastic-Handled-Fitting/dp/B003YDLXQK

How often does one have to replace the batteries? There will be a constant drain on them. Lithium ion batteries are not allowed. Exposing them to water can result in a fire.
And I can see cleaning the tank top causing an unnecessary flush.

It's just a waste of money, to cause problems. If you're concerned about germs, use a piece of toilet paper on the handle.
On 5/6/2014 2:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Or just spray it with Lysol regularly.
--
Steven L.

On 05/06/2014 11:50 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I just use my foot.
Jon

Or just wash your hands after you flush.
On 5/6/2014 12:01 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

No! I use the tank lid for storage. And besides, I was planning on washing my hands anyhow.
The photo doesn't show a flush handle. Does that get removed? And then you install this and hope that clueless guests can figure it out?
BTW, it's $75 on the HD site and no reviews.
Seems like a gimick to me. Why would someone want a "touchless" toilet flushing system when the trip lever has served us well for decades now?
Besides, modern medicine seems to be telling us that too sterile an environment is unhealthy. Nowadays children grow up in homes with electronic air cleaners on the furnace that take all the allergens out of the air they breathe, and the result is often that the children develop allergies. It's the children that grow up on farms that are exposed to mold spores and bacteria from cow dung and such that build immunities to those things early in life that protects them from developing allergies.
Think of it this way... after billions of dollars spent on research, the only thing scientists have found that actually helps prevent heart disease is a good stiff shot of alcohol every now and then. Go figure.
--
nestork

On 05/06/2014 09:43 PM, nestork wrote:

And I'll bet that 'research' was funded by the American Booze and Liquor Council
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:43:33 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:

I'd try one if the price was reasonable. I can't break my wife from holdin g onto the trip lever until the flush is done. Then when she lets go, the ball doesn't seal. 20 years of yelling at her hasn't cured the problem. I 've even threatened to put a 1/4 turn valve on it so she'll only get one fl ush until I reset it.
Harry K

A good place for a box of tissues.

Of course.

I looked at the installtion. They give you a cap to plug the hole where the flush handle was. And you put a sticker with a picture of a waving hand over the spot on the tank lid where the sensor is underneath.
On 5/6/2014 10:27 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

don't think it would be too obvious what it meant. (Not look like it says "wave here to flush"). Can you imagine after a party, when some of the inebriated folks are trying to figure it out!
I'm having a hard time figuring why I'd want/need this, but touchless is obviously in, for example hands free soap dispensers and spigots. OK, having said that, I can think of some germophobic people who would buy it.
On 05/06/2014 07:27 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

A bathroom is a rather unhygienic location, due to the fine mist that is generated whenever the toilet is flushed. A box of tissues on top of the tank is going to collect such a mist, and the things contained in that mist are probably things you don't want to wipe on your face.
Jon
On Wed, 07 May 2014 06:23:56 -0700, Jon Danniken

finally! It's best to 'control' a flush, as in 'ease' the toilet during the first emptying of contents, then add bleach and then can flush. People don't realize that most toilets spray/splatter their contents into the rom when there is a flush.
To prove to yourself just how bad, place a tissue paper on the seat and flush, note the small water marks on the issue. Newer toilets seem to be a bit better, but the older ones just throw the contents out during a flush.
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

My mind has already been scarred. That's what rookies are for; that and "cavity searches"
--
Tekkie