Would You Buy A GE Spacemaker JVM1740SMSS?

This despite complaints on earlier Spacemakers?

I have a 10-year old Spacemaker that just went up. I have been told that over-the-range models are hard to install in general and I should consider sticking with Spacemaker in order to be able to re-use all the mountings for it.

This 78-year old does not want any problems. And I can't afford to pay for installation.

What do you think?

Thanks

Duke

Reply to
jw

What you say makes sense but . . . . . . . . Do you know for sure the mounting hardware is the same? Ten years is a long time in the appliance field and things may have changed.

In any case, be sue you have help lifting the old one out and the new one in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No I do not know. But I am looking at this that if they match up, that's great. If not, then I am no worse off, In any case, I received your advice about help from other people. I just hope I can find some able-bodied person or two.

Thanks

Duke

Reply to
jw

I agree with ED and would not bet on the mounts being the same though to be honest all of them are very similar.

The mounts are no big deal. You have a ledger strip made of metal at the bottom and one or 2 brackets at the top that receive the screws. All the ones I have installed provided a full size template that you could tape to the wall. Drilling an extra hole or two in the ledger strip to hit a stud is no big deal.

At my age, 20 years your junior, I would consider this a 2.5 man job with me being the .5. The unit is not real heavy but it is a terrible place to work. Getting the stove completely out of the way makes it a little better. Reading the install directions that come with the new unit will show you how to get the old one out.

I would shop for the best deal and you may be able to buy with installation for less. For sure you will pay less now than you did 10 years ago.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I (62) just did this with a friend (73) in his house. We could have handled it without the .5 help, however, one of the wives was there with a hand to push. There really is not room for a full 3rd person, but the hand was helpful. Friend did all of the mounting and I think, he and his wife actually held it in place to see if everything fit (before I arrived on the seen). The good thing is that newer microwave ovens are lighter than they used to be.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I never installed one but I would not want to try holding and screwing it in by myself.

Reply to
ransley

All great comments. Thanks a lot.

Duke

Reply to
jw

I have replaced three over the range microwaves.

I recently replaced a GE Profile (think it was a Spacemaker) with a Frigidare unit. The GE unit was maybe 6 years old.

The mounting bracket was slightly different but not different enough that I had to replace the old one already mounted on the wall. Both units mount by being hung on a lower lip of the mounting bracket and then swinging the unit upwards towards the upper cabinet and securing with screws thru the bottom of the cabinet. A 78 year old should get some help in unmounting and lifting the units. Not exceptionally heavy but bulky and can be awkward.

FWIW, the guts of both microwaves were almost identical, pretty much all Samsung innards in both units, only different features, keypads, and outer looks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Wow! Have they gone this route, screwing into the cabinet? As I said in my post the last one I did had a top and bottom plate.

Not really a big deal. The bottom plate holes the weight and like another poster said I am sure the newer units weigh less than the old.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

It's not easy, but I put one in myself. Once I got it hooked up with the lower hinge I rested it on stools etc so as to hold it almost in the correct position to install the two top bolts. The tough part was to locate/drill the two top bolt holes. Getting the template correctly positioned correctly was a pain and I ended up off a bit but it was recoverable. In the long run, even if it costs you a bit the extra counter space is well worth it. MLD MLD

Reply to
MLD

KISS. Keep it simple, stup**.

I hate over the stove microwaves. They are dangerously high, and you have to reach over hot stuff. If this is just a cabinet install, and not over a stove, please disregard previous comment. I have had two of these die in my rentals. I replaced both with countertop Panasonic Inverter microwaves, and made shelves where the previous microwave was. Cost: About $110 each.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I do not like all the gunge that forms on the microwave from cooking below it. It is high enough to cause an accident while putting stuff in or out. You don't have a shelf beside you in case you find something is hotter than you thought it was.

If you want to do two things at once, get a countertop. Save money, and make a safer move. I'm only 60, and with my bad neck and shoulders, I have difficulty with the higher installs.

Just my take on what I would do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Or get a cart at Salvation Army. New microwave and cart, about $125.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have, its not as hard as it sounds. First, there is an installation plate that comes with the unit..stamped out metal.

That plate is installed in place (according to an included template)..screwed to the walls (studs) After that, the Micro is "hung" in slots cut in the plate.

Bad news is that when I went to Re&Re my old Spacemaker, they had changed the plate. Had to take the old one down and put the new one up. Npt a BIG deal tho. Had difficulty connecting the 4" exhaust pipe to the new unit as well. The old one wasn't installed properly and fell out of the "chase" when I took the old one down..If you're ducting "inside", well no problem there.

Reply to
Rudy

I MUST have a dirty mind. I see a joke in that.

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

When my last microwave died, I bought a new Spacesaver and installed it by myself. I found it a handful but I'm very happy with the results.

It did not fit in the old microwave's supports so I had to drill into the studs again to position the new hardware. I held the microwave in place using a couple of quick clamps with the jaws reversed.... so they went wider when I pumped the handle.

It can be done by yourself but it's a job.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd

Well I was nothing dirty in that simple remark. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'm slipping.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski