worlds slowest ceiling fan.

i am guessing that i would test the wires coming out of the ceiling. and check the system requirements for the fan. if the volts are to low what can i do to increase it? i would rather fix this problem then send the fans back. however the couple upstairs did install a ceiling fan. I will ask them if they had to modify anything.

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

would it make a difference if you wired it parallel vs single. or how ever its called or if there is even a choice. i am thinking if the juice has to go through one fan to get to the other.

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

You should have 120 volts available from the house wiring. That's all. The same as what you have in the receptacles that have working appliances plugged in.

Better yet just lay the two wires across a normal 100 watt light bulb and see if glows bright. That's even better than a volt meter.

Usually Black is hot and White is neutral. The other wire is ground and can be about any color or bare copper.

Reply to
JimL

after doing some reading on volt meters and ceiling fans i think it is probably a good idea to use one to test and make certain theatthe current is off. I might as well use it to test for the 120 volts.

i have 2 wires coming out of my ceilings. one black and one white. you said white is neutral and the white wire coming out of the remotes receiver is white and has a tag on it reading "neutral in" i was told to connect that wire to the green wire on the ceiling plate. i guess the best way to see if there is an error in the wires would be to first see if my fan is getting the 120 volts. however you guys/gals know much more than i do and i am not getting much help from the tech support from hunter. and thank you for the tip about the 100 watt light bulb. Frank

Reply to
Frankly

or you can take lessons from me on wiring a ceiling fan :). to be honest with you i am still wondering about the ground wire. I am not sure if it is right. i think ceiling fans work great with an air conditioner even if it is set on the slowest speed. i love it and once i find out about the ground wire i will be putting the other one up in the bedroom. i can understand your wanting to get away from it from time to time. right now i have the AC and fan on the lowest settings.

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

Actually, I have 4 ceiling fans in my home and none are grounded, The guy that installed the electric box in the ceiling only used 2 conductor wire (black and white). I tied into that - white to white and black to black.

When I wired up the fans, I just wired the green ground wire on the fans to the small screw on the electric box in the ceiling. Maybe someday I will run a ground wire from the boxes to the circuit breaker box, but the fans work fine without one.

You don't need the ground wire connected to anything to make your fans work.

Reply to
JimL

Thanks Jim.

the fan does work fine. i was just worried about safety issues i may have been unaware of. fan works great - no wobble even :). looks like tomorrow the bedroom fan is going up :).

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were trying to FIND the world's slowest ceiling fan... My wife loves the fans, and I hate them. I work in an over air-conditioned environment and have cold air blowing on me all day. I'd like some relief from that at home, but the missus insists on having fans running all the time. I was hoping to find out that there is a really slow fan out there that I could tolerate. Maybe I should just yank the capacitors on the ones we have.

Reply to
Bill

Definitely not trying to be condescending, or anything, but it sounds like you need some professional help in the shape of an electrician. Even they get zapped every now and then, and they went to electrician school....

Reply to
glenn P

LOL! that's exactly what I thought.... I spent a quite a while working the size of my "casablanca" (the movie) fan control down so it would fit in a standard switch box. I can go anywhere from 10 rpm to the standard speeds!!!

Email me if you'd like a copy of the CCT, and you're electrically competent!

Reply to
glenn P

Does this unit have a separate radio remote? In my fans the radio remote is intended to be used with the 3 speed "pull chain switch" on its highest setting. It works by reducing whatever the "hard speed" is of the pull switch. If I set my pull switch speed to low then the speeds produced by the remote control are Slow, Slower, Slowest. My guess is that this is what you are seeing.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Horrible answer. Do you know what an electrician charges these days?

Reply to
JimL

The original poster stated in one of his posts that

"...i have 2 wires coming out of my ceilings. one black and one white.

you said white is neutral and the white wire coming out of the remotes receiver is white and has a tag on it reading "neutral in" i was told to connect that wire to the green wire on the ceiling plate. ..."

Right there is (at least one place) where he went wrong. The green wire is the "grounding" wire, used only for a safety ground. Its not safe, no legal, to use it for a neutral conductor, but connected this way, the fan should work. The symptom of very slow operation is indicative of a large voltage drop in in the circuit. Based on the available information, that ground (green) wire does not have a good path back to where it is supposed to be connected.

First thing to do is shut off the power and get the green wire off the white wire. Green wire goes to the case of the fan assembly, there is probably a green or bare wire from the fan assembly to connect to.

I looked at the link provided to the Hunter website and clearly in the owner's manual, it states:

[excerpting] Connect electrical supply leads from the motor, using approved connectors. [receiver control wiring] Connect the yellow from the fan to the yellow from the receiver, pink from the fan to the pink from the receiver, grey from the fan to the grey from the receiver and the black with white tracer from the fan to the black with white tracer from the receiver. [power wiring] Connect the red and white wires from the fan with the white from the receiver to the white power (common) wire.

Connect the larger black wire from the receiver to the black power wire.

Run the thin white antenna wire from the receiver through one of the slots in the ceiling plate and outside the canopy (when installed). See Figure 6A.

Connect the ground wire to the green lead wires from the ceiling plate and the hanger ball.

After wiring is completed, check all connections to ensure that they are tight and there are no bare wires visible at the wire connectors."

[end excerpt]

I added spacing and some bracketed headers for clarity.

Basically, it says connect the like colored wires from the fan and receiver to each other. Then hook up the power wires by connecting the red & white wire from the fan together with a (assuming larger) white wire from the receiver (three wires) to the white neutral power wire from the ceiling (total four wires.)

Becuareful about that antenna wire. Its white, so don't get it mixed up with a power wire. I would hope its a thin wire obviously differnt from the rest, so as not to have it mistaken.

The diagram doesn't show the green ground wire, but the instructions above describe it pretty well.

By the way, an electrician is a lot cheaper than hospital bills, or what a fire would cost...

Good Luck.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

this turned out to be out of date info according to the tech. it makes no mention of the read and white wires coming out of the reciever. the only white wire they mention is the neutral. i was told by the first tech to connect the recievers red and white wires to the fans red and white to the white coming out of the ceiling. so 4 wires to the 1 white wire.

according to the last tech. i am not suposed to connect the red and white fan wires to the white wire. the fans red and white wires get connected to the recievers red and white wire. the white neutral in wire gets connected to the white wire from the ceiling. I was told they are now using a new receiver and that the diagrams are wrong. they still didnt change it. both fans are working fine now. I am not looking into putting one in my diningroom. there are 2 light fictures on both ends of the ceiling. i will be looking into putting a fan betweent them and in line with the one in the living room. i did a few favors for a contractor and might ask him to put that one in. although i think i can do it myself.

thank you for your help. all i needed was the correct instructions. but who knows.

that is what the diagram says and its wrong. the like wires from the fan and reciever all get connected together. the white neurtal in gets connected to the white in the ceiling.

i think this would have been a very simple job if Hunter would up date their instructions. unless all the tech people were wrong. anyway boths fans are working fine finally

Thank you Frank

Reply to
Frankly

Hello Jim:

when i called the first time to hunter tech i was told it was the reciever and a new one is being sent. i recieved it the other day and that one looks like the one used in the manual. i am begining to think that the tech lied or wasnt honest when they said i had the "newer" reciever. i just think they didnt want to take the chance that i would look to return it if i knew i had an older reciever. this one looks newer to my newbie eye and does not have the red or white neutral in wire. right now 1 fan was installed flush and i will be dropping it down a bit. while doing that i could just change the reciever. not sure what i will do but will look to see if there was any kind of recall.

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

My spouse just brought home a new hunter ceiling fan, so I will be doing what you are doing pretty soon now as soon as it gets put on the honey do list. The way it works around my house is that all household benefits pretty much grind to a halt when the honey do list has unfinished chores on it.

Reply to
JimL

Ceiling fans do make household benefits even better. on the other hand.. i am married to many years for that to work on me. she wants to hold out... thats fine with me. to a certain point.

Reply to
Frankly