Working on the roof...

So I have an old colonial in MA - Over the past couple of years I have lost maybe two dozen shingles during storms. No leaks, but the roof doesn't look real good with missing shingles.
The roof is a good slant and I am not happy about the thought of climbing up there. I have the ladder, but I also don't want to die. Any tips to keep from plunging to the pavement while working on the roof, or should I just pay some monkey a few hundred bucks to do the replacement?
Thanks
Bluesman

If unhappy about climbing up there, do not. If money means you must, have a rope from your waist, up and over the ridge, to an assistant on the far side of the house.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Tie the rope to something other than a vehicle. Unless you have all the keys to it in your pocket. Not even then.
Yeah, it happens sometimes.
Check the rope too.
[Remembers a radio interview from a farmer who found out the hard way that the rope he just bought was invisibly spliced. Seven years later, he still has difficulty walking.]
It's probably best to use "real" climbing rope, or at least something rated for hoisting. Not generic yellow polypro.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

You might borrow a safety harness from an industrial friend or rent one and tie yourself off with a rope over the roof ridge. About $200 new. I just missed a chance to buy one for $10 at a garage sale. Drat.
Nick
If you don't feel good about it, don't do it. If you are tentative, your weight will not be positioned properly and you could slip. I speak as one thoroughly afraid of roofs; it is nothing to be ashamed of. (Oddly, I am also a rockclimber and skydiver; they don't bother me.)
Bluesman wrote:

I agree with the others. I might add a little suggestion.
You did not say, but it sounds like you may be considering just replacing the missing shingles. I suggest re-thinking that idea if that was your plan. If you have a number of missing shingles it means something is wrong. It sounds like it is time for a new roof. Replacing a roof is a BIG job especially for one person. You will have your roof exposed for some time and you will need to have a few talents that you likely don't have. I suggest doing a new roof, correcting any problems and using materials that can handle the local weather without loosing shingles.
In the event it is slate roof, then it may be reasonable to do some repair, depending on the general condition and type of slate. I very strongly suggest getting a professional experienced with slate to do the job. Slate is a specialty and most roofers don't know it. You or they are likely to do more damage than good.
Good Luck and stay safe.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
A few points here. 1 to the guy who said tie a rope around your waist . Not such a good idea . That sudden stop at the bottom would snap your back . That would be the reason OSHA outlawed the use of saftey belts and requires full body harnesses. 2 To the OP if buy hire a monkey you were refering to a roofer why would use such shitty reference to some guy just trying to make a living?
Well, you could buy a number of roof jacks and a 2x6 or two. Your local roofing supplier should be able to help you with the particulars of the jacks Tom Work at your leisure!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (... ...) wrote in message

I was refering to a local handyman who would replace two dozen shingles for $200. Monkeys are good climbers with great balance - swinging from trees and such. That is what I meant. If I said "mountain goat" would that make you feel better?
And it is "by" not "buy" if we into breaking balls now about posts.
Bluesman
Damn ,You are right it should have been by and not buy . I guess I should have done a better proof read. I bet the local handyman would rather be called "the local handyman instead of monkey. I'm not really into breaking balls I just don't like it when people who work with thier backs and hands are looked at in a poor light.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (... ...) wrote in message

Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Bluesman) wrote:

You will see pro roofers using thick sheets of foam rubber, which doesn't slip. But if I were you, I'd hire a pro.
--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com