Working? Bring plenty of water.

I'm wondering if I've got enough water in my bug out bag. Well, I'm sure I don't.

Started the day with a glass of soda. The glass says it's

30 ounces. Bit of water with my tooth brushing, and some to take my allergy pill.

Took with me, 4 eaches 24 ounce soda bottles of water. I had drunk them all down, by 3 PM or so. Stopped at a rest area, and filled two of them. Drank part of one, on the way home. Got home, and filled two more 24 ounce bottles. (Used maybe one of them in the next couple hours). Got home, and just pouring down a 30 ounce water glass of water with a trace of apple juice. I'm thirsty enough to down another one over the course of the evening, easily.

I'm too tired and dry to figure out how much that was.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like diabetes symptoms.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Dry?, then you must have lost some weight. No salt tablet? What is the side effect of your allergy pill?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, In olden days diabetic condition was called sickness of thirst.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think I found your problem.

All this soda, and very little water. Straighten up, you're old enough to know better.

Reply to
BL

Yeah, sugary liquid only makes me more thirsty. I only drink water when I'm dehydrated.

If I need pick-me-up, I'll eat a piece of fruit, or something solid.

Reply to
ShadowTek

ShadowTek wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@desktop.localdomain:

By the time you're dehydrated, it's almost too late (as in you'll feel awful). Drink the water before you feel thirsty. If your mouth is too dry, you're going to get cavities.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Well, I was never a real worker, but my brother was a carpenter. During the summer he would get up early to go to work and take

3 gallons of water when he left. When he finished the water he packed up and went home, where he drank plenty more water and made sure he got some salt. As far as I know he never had any heat problems.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

As a former construction worker on southern Ontario (where it got 40+c humidex) I drank 1 litre of water per hour - easily.

Reply to
jim

Yeah, but it was just water weight. Don't know any side effects, it's been pretty benign.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can easily believe that. I need to bring more water with me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A body can only absorb water at a certain limited rate. Not only that, buy trying to work on a stomach full of sloshing water can be very uncomfortable.

Also, when on a job, you can't always stop to take a drink whenever you feel like it.

As far as cavities are concerned, that's another reason I avoid sugary drinks, and sugary drinks are going to do far more damage to a person's teeth than a dry mouth ever will.

Reply to
ShadowTek

Hi, With some slices of lemon. It'll help absorption and alkalizing. If you get dehydrated your immune strength will go down.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In high humidity I figured I was losing as much as I was consuming. + on average taking one piss in an 8 hour shift is a warning sign of dehydration.

a 1 litre bottle fit in the tool belt.

I agree with the sugar intake however heat stroke can kill you.

Reply to
jim

Lemons are acidic. I hope you mean help to reduce alkalyzing? And why does pH matter with beverage?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Before the Civil War, Louisiana planters knew that adding lemon to drinking water would protect them from various diseases. Most popular beverages are acidic.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I didn't know that.

Anyhow, an earlier poster said lemon juice would help with alkalyizing the beverage. Hard to alkalize anything, when you add a big slug of acid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For eight years I've been adding 1/2 tsp of magnesium sulfate per pint of drinking water. I've found it a better way than pills to absorb magnesium. It's tastier and more refreshing than plain water and costs a dollar a year.

I used to drink soda pop every day. If I opened a 2-liter bottle, it would be gone in 24 hours. I've bought only two bottles in the last eight years. One of the benefits of magnesium is that it took away my craving. It helps me burn sugar with less insulin from my pancreas, and insulin can cause a craving for sugar. ( I still like sugar in a cup of coffee or tea, but that's 2% of the sugar in 2 liters of cola. )

People who have worked with me in hot weather have told me I don't sweat. Salt reduces evaporation, so salty skin can make a person hot and sticky unless he sweats enough to flush the salt onto the ground. If I can avoid getting salty, I stay cooler and drier.

My sodium intake may be only 400mg a day. That reduces the accumulation of salt on my skin. On a hot, humid day, I may shower and change shirts two or three times a day.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

E Z Peaces wrote in news:h5ght5$bju$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Don't drink any water in a restaurant. The lemons have fecal matter and other germs.

Marina

Eat restaurant food at your own risk. I know, I've worked in a few. Lemons and vinegar tend to kill bacteria due to the low pH.

Reply to
Phisherman