Workbench design. Viable?

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:29:57 -0500, Vic Smith

They're cheap even new. That's what I'm working on now.

Neat! I've never seen a desk that comes with windows pre-installed.
snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote in wrote:

some people like to build things to last;"heirloom" work,hand them down to children or for later sale. "if it's worth doing,it's worth doing right".
(I mean no reflection on your intended purpose.)

ah,a laminate countertop is just about right for that.

Well,happy building!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm a welder. I would make four corner legs out of 1" square tubing, gusseted diagonally. Then I would make about a 16" square flat bar top out of 1/8" x 1 1/2". Weld that to the top of the corner posts so that it was out at the corner, not centered. Then put about four 3/4" screws into that flat bar from the underside. Perhaps even put one dead center to keep it from sagging. I have also seen laminate countersunk drilled slightly from the top, screws installed, then the hole epoxied and routed flush. Your weakest point is the laminate, which is essentially particle board. Or is it the good stuff made out of plywood?
There's not a lot you can do with that particle board but support it evenly. That is why I suggested an old solid core door. Now you can get some beefy screws in that puppy.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

If you don't want to go up you can go sideways if you make the frame enough smaller ro attach a 1x2 to the edges of the top (overlapping frame) then screw through 1x2 into the frame.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

This phenomenon is correctly stated thusly:
Stuff expands to fill the space available.
Unless we're talkin' computer storage when it can be more specifically stated as:
Data expands to fill the disks available.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:19:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

But horizontal surfaces have a special attractor. ;-)

Matter is Great Stuff. ;-)
On Apr 15, 4:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

HD used to sell metal leg sets for projects like yours. Has punch out for outlets and support for storage shelf underneath. I made my top out of scrap 1 X lumber(recycled pallets) there ar inch gaps between some of the boards. Made it all look pretty with hardboard. Looks nice and when the hardboard gets beat up I can easily and cheaply replace it.
Jimmie

Thanks for all of the help guys.
Project complete. Does exactly what I wanted. The support frame is absolutely rock solid.
http://www.malch.com/nikon/DSF_3945.jpg