Work Trucks With Handicapped Plates

Page 3 of 3  
wrote:

No single answer. Many handicaps don't involve wheelchairs or crutches. A breathing problem could make a long walk difficult, while still making to lifting/moving (and shopping) possible. Abuse is also a common feature. A friend happily parks in handicapped spaces because her husband's condition qualified for the plate.
This comes under the category of "is this a hill you are willing to die for?" Do you *really* want to confront the drivers/owners and demand an explanation or justification? Or just shrug and go on your way? Yes, there's probably -- certainly abuse. The Home Depot shoppers may be taking advantage of a friend's or relative's disability. Shame on them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I will say that if it's someone parking in a handicapped spot without a plate, I will make sure they get a ticket. I parked behind some bitch driving a BMW, parked in a handicapped spot without any sort of plate or hanging placard and called the police. She stood outside my car and ranted and raved and swore at me for 10 minutes before the cops showed up and ticketed her. I just laughed the whole time.
She got what she deserved, although I'm sure she's still doing it. More dollars than sense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:11:33 GMT, Brian Henderson

Thank you.
BB
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Henderson wrote:

ya coulda let the air out of her tires... hehehe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:11:33 GMT, Brian Henderson

How? At what cost? I don't have a cellphone to dial 911. I *sure* don't want to try and prevent an illegally-parked (perhaps) person from 'escaping' a parking lot. I don't plan on getting into fistfights with idiots in the special parking places, nor with those checking a basketful of groceries through the express line. There *are* somewhat neutral, 'though occasionally embarrassing ways of gentle persuasion. "Did you notice you parked in a handicapped spot?" I wouldn't go so far as to say to someone with plates or tag, "you don't *appear* to be handicapped. Please explain yourself to me or I'll call the cops." It ain't my call. *Most* people respect the designation. Let it go.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

as I see it every time I go to the big box stores most of the handicapped spaces are empty. I think there should be closer parking for "contractors only" because they know what they want and are in and out in minutes flat. unlike home owners who take forever to make a decision - they should park in the rear of the parking lot. and the handicapped spaces should also be in the back of the lot. with all the motorized carts in stores these days (imagine the fun in the lot with those damn things.
bottom line contractors SHOULD get the best parking spaces because they are the back bone of the construction trade (not to mention the millions of dollars they spend on materials compared to your average home owner).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I disagree as HD is a "Do it yourself" home center. The only contractors who frequent it are the jackleg wanna-be's who aren't capable of ordering material from real supply houses by stock number, and need to see all the choices available to them on shelving physically.
Generally these "glorified handymen" don't have accounts at real building materials suppliers because they can't, they don't qualify because they aren't real contractors, incorporated, or have legal company names, ar searchable in Dunn & Bradstreet, etc. They often pay cash to HD because the job is paying them cash - and they in turn pay cash to their help.
REAL contractors fax a material order to the supply house or have the foreman or project manager do it. It's delivered free, as contractors don't have time to go "shopping" at HD nor can they afford to pay tradesman's wages to waltz around a 5 acre store shopping all day.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The best line I ever heard to such a parker: "Sir, that parking place is reserved for the PHYSICALLY handicapped."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:11:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Dennis) wrote:

Neat. :-) But who's qualified to make the judgement? There are many conditions not obvious to casual view. I believe various heart conditions qualify. Unless the driver is wearing it on his sleeve, it's hard to tell.
The plates and tags are issued on the basis of proven physical disability. If a relative or employee abuses the use, he/she's an idiot. Or maybe just taking advantage when they can as so many do in so many situations. Or even clueless. *Most* people recognize and respect the designation. Many otherwise responsible people will push a basketfull of groceries through the express line because they're "in a hurry." This is also an excuse for speeding, handicapped parking, and probably a lot of other sins.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The Home Depot nearest to where I live already has that. All the parking spots nearest the lumber dept's big door and loading area are contractor only.
Mike
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Where I'm at, the 'contractors' can drive into the lumber yard and load up their stuff if it's not too heavy. Mostly though, they just park their oversized trucks, open all the doors, turn up their (horrible) music, and lean back and look to see who's looking at them. It's even funnier when there are 2 of them playing different kinds of music. Nothing like death metal and latino rap superposed on the old timpanic membranes.
I'd like to echo a previous post that 'real contractors' probably don't have time to be shuffling around Home Despot looking for 2x4s.
h
Michael Daly wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:32:48 GMT, "Michael Daly"

How is this enforced?
This restriction is as enforceable as the spaces for pregnant parkers...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 29-Jan-2004, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

Contractors are bigger and tougher than the handicapped?
:-)
Ok, so that's in poor taste. I think it's just an honour system. Since these spots aren't near the entrance, they probably aren't as popular anyway - the only benefit is to those who are picking up big orders.
Mike
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Here's an interesting observation; Cars parked in the handicap slots are often Caddies, Lexus, Beamers, etc.
Are only rich folks handicapped ? or Does being handicapped make you rich ?
????
<rj>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Being rich may make the physician more inclined to write whatever the patient asks for.
RB
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Caddies, Continentals and Cougars are "grampa's last car" around these parts :o)
Old enough to retire, these days, means you made money when interest rates were 13% AND you have a pension. Remember those? I was trying to buy food for my kids when interest rates were 13%.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.