Work Trucks With Handicapped Plates

Page 2 of 3

Morally handicapped? :-)
Bob
Jim Thompson wrote:

That's what I think of the people that park in the handicapped spaces without the plate or hangtag... They must be mentally handicapped...

Sometimes we forget to put he hangtag up. Sometimes it falls down. WTF is the difference about it all? The license plate is on the car. The plate gives the driver the right to park there. If you are in a state where your drivers license denotes handicapped, and you must display it to an officer who asks, there is some enforcement. If they don't have to explain it to a police or enforcement officer, what makes you think they need to explain it to you?
Otherwise, just mind your own damn business and don't worry about it. Sheesh, what do you want folks to do? Pull up their shirt and show their scars? Give you a medical history? Use medical words you won't understand?
It is enough to be disabled enough to qualify for a tag, it is an extra burden to have to explain it to some bozo, either on the street or in a newsgroup.
Worry about something else, wontcha?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Actually, I worry about it because I want the spaces to be available for someone that really does have a disability, and not some mentally handicapped idiot that wants to save 10 steps so they don't get a little wet in the rain.
But.... Exxxxxxxxxcccccccuuuuuuuuuussssseeeeeeeeee mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for even caring!!

No you don't. While it's impossible to prove for sure, I'll betcha you're peeved because some idiot has taken the parking spot you'd like to have yourself. That's the way *I* feel, anyhow. Although I've been recently trying to park at a distance to get a little exercise. If you're concerned about the rights of the handicapped and how to help them, there's probably an organization that could use your help. Maybe they even have a cadre of volunteer roving ticket-givers sanctioned by the local police.
Frogleg wrote:

Not at all peeved because I usually park farther back anyway... keeps down on the damage to my vehicle from all the idiots opening doors or slamming it with carts.
Besides, I have a disability myself, so I truly do understand how it can affect a person.

Sorry for making an unfounded assumption.
The concern with parking in this country is absolutely insane on nearly every level. Jean Shepherd wrote of his father circling parking lots for hours in search of a "close" space in the 50s. Certainly when it's raining (and one hasn't had the forethought to pack an umbrella) or, as recently, parking areas are fields of snow, ice, and slush, it's a coup to be able to park close to one's destination. But how much difference does it make? I (sometimes) zip in, park at a distance, and am inside and shopping (or whatever) before the lot-circler has snagged his ideal slot. I once, entirely unwittingly I promise, slipped into a slot someone else was eyeing. She confronted me in the grocery aisles and swore a blue streak. It was as if I'd devoured one of her children!
I used to suffer from a mild case of road-rage -- the speeders, the cutters-off, the non-handicapped in blue spaces -- I'd become righteously steamed and upset. Finally realized these feelings had no effect whatsoever on others, and merely raised my BP and made me unhappy. While I've never believed in 'mind control' fashions, I started muttering something about how it didn't matter; the only behavior I could control was my own; etc. Lo and behold, I eventually was able to be calm in my car and An Example to Others. :-)
No one can be nanny to everyone else's faults. *Real* roadrage results in homicide when some traffic sin is committed. I'd rather hum my "I'm cool" mantra and let an idiot go unpunished (by me).

is
plate
your
officer
to a

it
their
understand?
Go to your local authorities, and either volunteer to be a citizen monitor that can write tickets, or watch the spaces and call when someone offends. That would show you really care.
STeve

I would worry that your concern might be a symptom of your own mental failures and a sign of the fact that someone got something you would have liked to have gotten needed to be rationalized to compensate for your concern about not getting a better parking space!
This is the best thread ever.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

As I mentioned in another post... I have no desire to get those "good" parking spaces. I always park farther back in the lot anyway. Keeps my car from getting banged up from all the idiots and the shopping carts or the car doors...

For the same reasons I park further away where 1. I can drive into the lot infront of a two lot marking so that I can drive off without having to back out. 2. Parking in a somewhat protected lot because it has a berm infront and better if there is another one on the side. 3. So that I can get in an out easily without having a a long line of cars infront of me on the way to the exit. It is always quicker to walk to your car >10 rows away than to inch through the same distance in your car.

Most of the folks I know who have authorization to use HC parking DO NOT have plates with the HC symbol on them, but rather use the HC placard hung from the rear view mirror - for obvious reason that we don't have to go into here and now.
A PLATE as well as the HANG TAG doesn't give the driver the right to park in a space designated for HC parking unless the plate and/or placard was issued to the driver for their use because they have a disability or condition that qualifies for the plate/placard or they are transporting a person who is authorized to use the space and the plate or placard was issued to them. If the person who is authorized to use the space is not driving or being transported in the vehicle use of the space.

This is very true and unless you have a good reason to question the validity of the use of a plate/placard by an individual there is no reason for you to involve a parking/law enforcement officer to verify it!
I'm not aware of any state in the US that doesn't issue documentation with the plate or placard that is displayed on the vehicle containing information identifying the person to who it/they were issued.
The requirements of the issuance of permits for the use of designated HC parking in the US can be found at: http://www.handiplate.com /
Rather than bitching about imagined abuses of the rules it would behoove the whiners to go to that site and at least see what is the requirement for their state! (I doubt if many/any of them will go to the bother but rather they will be content with going along their merry way, and getting pissed off every time they see someone using one of these spaces)

Many of the comments made here seem to relate to the "convenience" factor associated with HC parking and miss the basic reason for having it! (In my opinion this seems to reflect their envy persons authorized to use these parking spaces and total lack of understanding the reasons for them. Probably most of the complaints in this thread would not be made if conditions still were the same as before the passage of the Federal Handicapped Parking Law P.L. 100-641 in 1988. This law encouraged states to adopt uniform laws regarding handicapped parking using the guidelines it contained or face the loss of Federal Highway matching funds. Before this legislation was enacted parking for persons with handicaps could be designated, BUT few localities had statutes regarding enforcement of any penalties for violations or standards of who could use them - and those that did seldom enforced the laws they had! All you had to do is remember to have someone 'limp' when they got out of a car parked in a HC space if you wanted to give the impression that its use was authorized! Spaces were available on a fist come first served basis regardless of the nature or degree of an individual's handicap!

Nevada has no such policy. The placard or plate is good for anyone driving the vehicle.
Now you are aware of one. Maybe more will chime in, too.
Steve
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:58:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

A Thought.
With the versatility and affordability of PCs that all offices must have to run business why not use that equipment to capture a whole body profile silhouette of the HC person and print that on the permit. A a half or one inch silhouette will provide a quick eyeball verification of the permit holder without giving away any personal information.
There are different types of handicaps. Some people can't walk much, some can't walk far, some can't use their arms. But I think you ran into some that have handicaps related to reading, following directions, and various mental problems.
Ken Hall wrote:

Some people are using other people's vehicles and taking advantage of handicap license plates and placards.
I, myself, have osteonecritis, an artificial heart valve, and a five way bypass. But I look normal, whatever normal is. I have handicapped plates on my truck. I use them whenever I feel like it, unless there is another close spot available, then I take that one. I never park in the van accessible spaces.
As with everything, you have inconsiderate people and slobs. And if I could trade in my plates and have my health issues changed, I would do it in half a heartbeat.
Steve
Ken,
Ever think that the construction worker *is* handicapped and is a small business owner/boss whom parked his truck there so the hired man or men that accompanied him to the store could pick up the stuff that is required for the job? I am a business owner/operator and if I was suddenly handicapped I certainly wouldn't throw in "the towel" . I would keep on going with my business and hire workers to do what I can no longer do and be their boss from the experience that I have gained working in the trade. I beleive it's what you folks down south call the 'American way" that you are supposed to be so proud of.... isn't it? Maybe rather than spending your time in typing to this NG you could have utilized your time in asking the dually owning construction worker in question???? Wierd...but seems logical to this Canadian..... hell...if I saw this...I'd hang around and find out....especially if it's every "5-10 times" and it bothered you enough to type this question. Perhaps you could find the answer to the question and get back to the group with your findings?
Regards... Jim Morris Owner / Morris Welding & Holdings Ltd Emerald Park Saskatchewan Canada....

George E. Cawthon wrote:

hey you right about the mental handicapped part: years ago when the computers were not so user friendly and the drawing programs were kinda bare bones i made up a mental handicapped license plate for a co-worker that really needed this plate( it had a head with a circle and line in it like NO for turn, parking, etc... it was a picture of a get with his mouth open screaming, which is what this guy was really like... a little sticker stuff on it and he wore it on his license for a few days...... and it fit him perfectly.....
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 04:09:54 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Yes, but why should anyone who doesn't have mobility problems get special parking spots? I can see if you have problems walking, but reading? Heck, my daughter qualifies as being handicapped, I could get plates for all my cars, but she can walk just fine and since she's only 5, she can't exactly drive, so I won't do it.