Work/Trouble Light suggestions

I am looking for suggestions on what type of work light or trouble light to buy.

I usually end up buying regular incandescent bulb work lights, but I am sick of the bulbs burning out because they are so fragile. Seems light just a little inadvertent tap and the filament breaks. I have also tried using CFL bulbs in the same type of work light, but the lighting seems less bright, and those bulbs also seem to break fairly easily -- just not as easily as the incandescent bulbs.

I don't think I want a halogen light because, even though they are much brighter (which I definitely like), they get too hot.

One type that I have not tried yet are the fluorescent light type of work lights. I wonder how bright they are, and I don't know if they are any more durable than incandescent of CFL bulb work lights.

LED work lights don't seem to be very bright, at least from what I read in reviews, but I assume they would be more durable.

It sure seems like they must be a good work light out there that is bright and durable.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Ron

Four years ago I paid about $25 for a Vector Power on Board Bright Bar. It has 26 LEDs and produces such an even light that sometimes I can work under the hood better if I wait until dark and use this light instead of daylight. I use it every day. A charge is good for about 12 hours and so far I haven't had battery trouble.

Reply to
J Burns

Have you tried a higher power cfl that is encapsulated in an outside glass capsule. Or, maybe a cfl spotlight, the cfl is encosed there also.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks. I did a couple of searches for Vector Power on Board Bright Bar and so far haven't found where I can go to see one at a store to check it out. I only see them for sale online. But I'll keep checking.

Reply to
Ron

Been using one like this for about 5 years.

I don't know about price - but this seems reasonable. My son bought the one I have. It's been knocked around quite a bit and still works. For any lengthy work in an engine bay, we hang a 2-bulb 4' shop light tight under the raised hood with S hooks or coathanger wire.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I didn't find it either, although it's still for sale at a local shop. At Amazon, they have reviews of the Black & Decker Bright Bar. It seems to be identical except that it's orange instead of yellow, and apparently it's no longer available.

Amazon mentions a similar Stanley light. Both are run by a pack of three AA NiMH cells with solder tabs. The only thing I'd change about my light would be to use a compartment for replaceable AA cells instead of a pack. I could keep a charged set in my pocket, and I wouldn't have to worry that someday I'll have to replace the battery pack.

It has been a durable light, and it's easy to spot when I need it. It's easy to hang or lean or lay so it throws light where I need it. I don't know what brand or model is best, but a trouble light with a lot of LEDs has served me well.

Reply to
J Burns

I have always used rough service bulbs. Lasted good for me. WW

Reply to
WW

Thanks. I may try something like that. I haven't tried this type of fluorescent light yet. I saw one like it in Home Depot, but I thought the hooks looked weird and flimsy and I wasn't sure how well those hooks would work. There is also a brighter version with two fluorescent bulbs with maybe a better hook that I saw online -- not sure where they sell them. The fact that you said that yours has been knocked around some and still works is a good sign. That's a big issue for me -- getting one that won't just break in a short amount of time. Does yours seem bright enough? I assume it is since you didn't mention otherwise. After I get one, I'll post here how it seems to me.

Reply to
Ron

I forgot to add a photo:

Ron

This is the exact light I have.

Got an outlet in it, and we've used that for a drill. The hooks aren't flimsy, and work well. Easier to latch onto something than the typical full hook. What I don't like about them is they're an eye hazard as a "helper-held" light. A couple week ago I was holding it for my son as he was bent over the engine while we changed a crossover pipe. He straightened up and turned around fast and the hooks came closer to his eyes than I liked. That's when I stopped work and took the 3 minutes to hang the 4-footer on the hood. The light is fine if you handle it yourself,

It's shines plenty of light , about the same as a 60W bulb work light. It's not a flood, and is for location work. It's not clear from the picture, but it's directional - one side is covered by a "use" and bulb changing instruction label. Normal, so it doesn't blind you.

Wraps in a tight package with the 6' cord. We always use an extension with it. Except for the bulb lasting much longer, and no fear of dragging it around under a car or such, pretty much the same as a bulb work light. Like any fluorescent, takes a while to put out full light if it's cold. Couldn't find the word "Banco" on it. Only found "Made in China." No surprise there.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I use a miniature 60 watt equiv cfl, works fine for me. Takes a bit of time. I use it in the same light fixture I've had for many years. Larger bulbs may hit the back reflector.

You can also try an led, some are plenty bright.

Greg

Reply to
gregz