work goggles

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things differently. Thanks all.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news:ckahl7djdm14qrf2fa4h3kcork5f7rs91b@

4ax.com:

Faceshield.

Doug Miller

I'd look at laboratory supply places like this:

I worked in a lab and we had goggles that fit over glasses in our stock room. Don't know who made them.

I still have several pairs of prescription safety glasses that I use when doing yard work or shooting. You could get them with side shields but they were uncomfortable to wear all the time.

You might also look at some of the internet glasses sites, maybe get a cheap pair of prescription goggles.

Reply to
Frank

Keeping crap out of your eyes is important-- Keeping it out of your hair, ears, nose, mouth, beard, shirt pocket and shoulders is handy.

I go for the full hard-hat and face shield from HF

$20- I bought it for sandblasting. I use it whenever I'm doing above-the-head dirty work.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Good advice.

.

4ax.com:

Faceshield.

Stormin Mormon

Looks interesting but doesn't it get sweaty and fog up inside? My face shield with the Arab Spaceman towel attachment (TM - patent pending) doesn't offer a lot of head protection, but it's usually my eyes that I am most concerned about. The face shield appears to offer double or even triple the viewing area of the sandblasting hood.

Still, for 20 bucks I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to HF. I spent $400 there in one visit, but they cut my catalogs off three months later. That's probably not a good model to follow, marketing-wise. I think I can request them at their site, but almost every other vendor I know likes to keep marketing to people that spend a lot of money in one visit. From what I saw, the average sale was between $20 and $100.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

For a real cheapo quick alternative, visit a welding supply store. They have all kindsa eye protection. I once picked up a half dozen pairs of brazing glasses on the close-out table fer $10. Took off the side sheilds and used 'em fer sunglasses (5 diff levels of darkness tint). I can't think of a more eye-ball dangerous overhead work job than muffler repair man. In fact, as a quickie when I had crawl under my truck, I put clear lenses in my old acetylene welding goggles. You know, those bug-eyed alien looking goggles. Not prescription, but kept the rust flakes outta my eyes while knocking around under there.

Optometrist who carry a line of safety glasses frames (most do), should have some models with side sheilds. Get the kind with hook temples and a fine mesh screen on the side to allow plenty of air circulation so they don't fog.

Most folks don't realize safety glasses are a good alternative to those absurdly expensive "designer" frames one sees in the main show room. Ya' usually hafta ask to see a catalog. I discovered this and started buying safety glasses frames for normal eye wear, years ago. I rarely ever pay more than $50-100 for excellent frames in many current fashions. One pair were all stainless steel frames and only cost about $60. I still have a pair of aviator style frames I bought over 20 yrs ago fer $40!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sweaty, yes-- but I prefer sweat to blood and mud. Foggy, no. I use a bottle of anti-fog that we bought for my son when he was a hockey goalie. Rubbing alcohol will work, but it gets me high.

Someplace I saw a guy run a compressor hose into his for positive pressure and cool air. I really don't have enough air for sandblasting [shoot 30 seconds- wait 20. . repeat] so I've never tried it. For inside work, I can stand the sweat for longer than I can keep my arms up and head back.

Good point-- But I'm usually concentrating on a pretty small area when I'm wearing it.

I don't think I've ever seen a 'catalog'. I get their [20 page?] fliers weekly. I might have hit $400 once-- but $1-200 is a 'big' day for me.

I stopped in for a $6 item last week- spent $40- and was thinking on the way out that I got off cheap. Damn candy stores.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:VJ26r.42889 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

The thing many people forget is that there's more stuff on your face that needs protecting than just your eyes -- imagine catching a saw kickback in the teeth, for instance. I had a violent kickback from a chop saw about a year ago, cutting a small piece that I really should have clamped down. I'm not sure quite how it happened, but the piece was wrenched out of my hand and thrown into the faceshield hard enough to knock it off of my head, and partway across the room. I never saw it. Just felt, and heard, the impact on the shield. Then heard the shield clattering on the floor. Never found the piece of wood, either.

Reply to
Doug Miller

needs protecting

You are definitely correct! A few years back I was using my bench grinder and a piece of metal caught and flew out hitting me in the mouth. The cut lip didn't amount to much (just a very few stitches) but it knocked one tooth out, broke another one off, and loosened two others. The dentist though he could save the two loose ones but that didn't happen. Then end result was a $10,800 bill for several fake non-removable teeth. As they are not removable I am not sure if it is called a "bridge" or not.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

you can buy frames from zenni optical online for

Reply to
chaniarts

I double agree. I've used a face shield like that for years. Mine has a nice ratchet on the back so I can easily clamp it to my head. It's especially comforting when I'm standing at the wire wheel hearing the tink-tinking of steel wires flying off and bouncing off the shield, as opposed to sticking in my eyes. Years ago I was cutting steel with a sawzall and no eye protection. Without even realizing it, small particles of hot metal were hitting me in the eye. Three of them burned and embeded into my cornea, which of course had to be dug out. Not particularly pleasant

Reply to
RBM

Google for goggles, or goggle for googles!

Reply to
piper

that needs protecting

They are called "a very expensive lesson about wearing a faceshield next time." My friend's kid hit a telephone bowl (oops, pole! - senior moment) in his dad's huge old car and drove three front teeth up into his gums. They spent an hour looking for the missing teeth before realizing they had been rammed upward and were still in his mouth. Fixing that up came close to $20,000.

With all these tales of serious maiming, I may even pick up another face shield so I can always have one upstairs with the compressor and downstairs with the radial arm saw and/or a spare for "guest workers."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You may have just written the winning entry in the "why wear a faceshield?" contest. I found out today they want to burn a "weep hole" in my iris with a laser to allow the excess fluid in my eye to drain. It made my stomach churn to think about so I can't IMAGINE having three metal flecks extracted from my cornea. I once had a rusty wire wheel on a bench grinder disintegrate on me, but my glasses took the brunt of it. I know that if I hadn't worn glasses all my life, I'd be blind in at least one eye.

Anyone who reads this thread and *doesn't* opt for a faceshield's gotta to be braver than they are smart.

I think I'll start driving with one. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've never had much luck with anti-fog stuff. What do you use?

Sounds like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. (-: Good idea, though. I know I've seen something like that with a fan mounted in the hood and a battery pack to power it. That might be easier than being tethered to a compressor hose.

Makes sense. Still, after DerbyDad described how he nearly gored himself, I'm all for as much peripheral vision as I can get.

I should have said flyer - I think they're 20 or so pages, tabloid style.

Mine's far enough away that I never just go for one item with Home Depot 3 blocks away. I saw a similar propane torch for $60 in HD that I got at HF for $20. So on stuff like that, I make the trek and obliterate the savings by overspending on things I really don't need. $400 was a big ticket for me because I bought an flexible inspection camera (for about half of what HD was selling a cosmetically "purtier" one that looked like the same basic guts inside). And a digital caliper, and a torch, and quick disconnects for the hoses, and some screwdrivers, and a tweezer set, and a $3 meter and loads and loads of other $5 to $10 stuff I can't recall.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It's clearly something about the eyeball that really makes people cringe. In my case, these little burs were rubbing against my eyelid which of course became sore, they didn't bother my eyeball at all. My wife could see them, so we tried to get them out with rolled up tissue paper, which was when we discovered that they were burned in. The removal process was actually completely painless. They anesthetize the eye, clamp your head in a vise and essentially dig the stuff out with a needle.

Reply to
RBM

"Robert Green" wrote in news:jjbj0f$2h6$3 @speranza.aioe.org:

[big snip]

Yeah, I call that the "more balls than brains" syndrome.

Just in case we haven't beaten this subject completely to death yet, I'd like to add four more reasons in favor of a faceshield instead of goggles, that haven't been mentioned yet:

  1. Faceshields fit over prescription eyeglasses (or sunglasses) better than goggles do.
  2. Faceshields are more comfortable.
  3. You can see better with a faceshield than you can with goggles.
  4. A faceshield is easier, quicker, and more convenient to put on and take off, so much so that there really is no excuse at all for not wearing it.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Now, that's fortunate, that you were wearing a face shield. You might have been hurt.

.

The thing many people forget is that there's more stuff on your face that needs protecting than just your eyes -- imagine catching a saw kickback in the teeth, for instance. I had a violent kickback from a chop saw about a year ago, cutting a small piece that I really should have clamped down. I'm not sure quite how it happened, but the piece was wrenched out of my hand and thrown into the faceshield hard enough to knock it off of my head, and partway across the room. I never saw it. Just felt, and heard, the impact on the shield. Then heard the shield clattering on the floor. Never found the piece of wood, either.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:VJ26r.42889 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ROFL....

Yer right, of course. Seems age makes both eyes and teeth a freaky proposition. Constant care is the byword. Both my father and grandfather suffered macular degeneration. I seem to be the off generation, having only suffered "old eyes", as in needing reading glasses at age 64.

nb --I got no bitch.... thankfully! .

Reply to
notbob