Word Wrapping & Time Stamping

Reading your posts are no problem for me, but when I hit reply, it goes to one long line. Not sure why, You can go into your settings and set the word wrap to something like 80 characters or less it it is not specified.

I used various versions of OE and never had the problem though. See how the text of yours that I quoted looks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Should have mentioned . . . I'm on eastern DST and you posted about an hour into the future.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Still looks ok to me even though I posted the reply with your text showing one long line. This time is shows properly on my screen. I'm using Thunderbird portable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I see what you mean about the time. Looks like it's stamping it an hour ahead.

What time does this post show?

Reply to
Guv Bob

Your clock is off by about an hour and your word wrap is off. Set it to about 70 or 80 like Ed said Try a program called OE-Quote fix

ChairMan

Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I'll second that quotefix suggestion . Lets you set it up so your cursor is at the bottom or responses , you have several other choices for various settings . I've used it for years and like it a lot .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Adjust your time zone.

Reply to
badgolferman

See it in the first line. 1:28

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So, what's your local time zone/settings? Looks like it's set to early zone by one...

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Your time zone shows 8 hours earlier than GMT. That would be Pacific Time. (But I'm guessing it should be Pacific Daylight Time.) You might need to edit your time zone. (Not your clock, which is presumably reading correctly, but your time zone, which is used to translate your time to other peoples' in the group. XP is out of date on that score. It shouldn't matter at this time of year, but if you don't install an update for it it's out of sync for a short period during transition to and from daylight time. Maybe you fiddled with it earlier because of that and it ended up wrong?

Microsoft has an applet called TZEdit that allows you to edit the time zone settings in the Registry. That's easier than hunting down a patch every time they change the DST schedule.

Info and download link here:

You just need to look up the current DST schedule and adjust it on your machine using TZEdit. Then make sure you're in the right time zone.

With the wrap, I see your text fine. Email normally has an embedded return at 76 characters, but that's for the server, not for display. If you don't hit return then your text should wrap when viewed. That's what I see. If people don't see wordwrap that's in their viewer.

The problem with that, though, is that quoting adds characters and then it gets messy. For that reason I usually add line returns for a short line, as you see here, leaving extra room for comment markers added by others. But that's just a matter of personal preference.

Reply to
Mayayana

I sent it at 10:28 PDT, so if you are on EDT, I guess that issue is over.

Thanks for all the help, Ed.

Reply to
Guv Bob

It was set to PST. Now it's set to PDT.

Reply to
Guv Bob

ight-saving-time-dst/

Thanks for all the good info, Mayayana!! I disabled the automatic daylight savings option because I was doing a fair amount of corresponding to youre-a-peeein' and asian folks.

Glad to hear what you said about it being the viewer's responsibility to wrap text. Now I remember hearing that years ago when someone else was complaining ad nauseum about his problems reading postings. Now it's coming back -- I remember setting it to 76 or 78 or whatever just so Mr. Whiney would shut up. But then that made it hard for me to read my own posts because I don't normally open the window to show 78 characters.

And thanks to everybody for trying to help me solve someone else's viewer problem.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Glad to hear what you said about it being the viewer's responsibility to wrap text. Now I remember hearing that years ago when someone else was complaining ad nauseum about his problems reading postings. Now it's coming back -- I remember setting it to 76 or 78 or whatever just so Mr. Whiney would shut up. But then that made it hard for me to read my own posts because I don't normally open the window to show 78 characters.

It's a bit mysterious. I can't remember all the details of the 76-character tradition. I think it's only for transport, to support older email programs. I see your post contains soft line returns, marked with =. That wraps fine for me. Julie Bove's latest post is using wrap (71, 76, or some such) and like you, I see hers chopped up because I don't set the window that wide. So it's probably better to have no auto-wrap set as long as you don't enter returns. (I'm a poor typist and like to set my own returns, which is why I use such short lines.)

Reply to
Mayayana