woodworm beetles

Just for the record. I believe these beetles often are already inside of wood that is used in home construction. They are just waiting to grow up and come out. They don't eat as adults, but the earlier stages bury into and consume wood, often moist wood. They leave holes in the wood when they tunnel out of it as adults. When they are active you can often find sawdust like material near the holes; "chaff" or something its called. I have some windows that I could hear noises emanating from certain months, and I noticed birds and bees attracted to the windows. The first person I had look into this didn't find anything---I was worried about termites mostly. I finally figured it out (wordworm beetles) after determining the holes were not machined (they are perfectly round and the same size as other holes routed to hold screens etc.) and investigating online.

My guess is they are not coming in from outside the condo, but that they are inside the wood that the condo was constructed with. LOOK FOR THE EXIT HOLES and/or sawdust like chaff stuff. My holes were about 1/4 round (typical size for machined holes and thus easy to overlook), most species have smaller holes though. I sprayed Permathin mix into the holes, heard a brief whine sound (LOL) at the 1st hole, and haven't had any new sawdust/chaff or noises in the last few days. The eggs are laid and then they typically hatch at least 1 year later, but they can apparently remain dormant for over a decade. I never really saw any actual beetles (just found one tiny one that may be unrelated), which is common. If you are finding lots it must be pretty bad I would think; they likely will continue to reproduce/repeat until the cycle is stopped with insecticides or replacing the wood.

Is there a question somewhere? There shouldn't be anything in kiln dried lumber...unless you have termites in a moist area of the US. Pine bore beetles are common in the North, and attack injured trees...

Reply to
bob_villa

Pine bore beetles are also common in Fla. I lost 50 pine trees in my yard after Wilma injured them.

Reply to
Chuck

I thought Woodworm Beetles is in England/UK what we call Termites here in the United States mainland.

Reply to
hrhofmann