woodworking/millwork question

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone tell me if a professional woodworking shop can rip a piece of wood measuring 9" x 2" x 8' down to a 9" x .75" x 8'? Does this type of rip have a unique name?
Thanks!
Crabshell wrote:

Yeah, it's called "resawing". There are a couple of ways -- bandsaw would be most common, particularly if it is a piece of hardwood, not just construction lumber so could use the cutoff as veneer stock, etc.
Alternatively, if it weren't, it could just be run through the thickness planer.
But, to answer the question as posed, most any decent-sized shop should be able to handle that w/ no problem.
On 4/8/2008 4:31 PM Crabshell spake thus:

I think what you're describing is usually called "resawing", and is typically done on a bandsaw. However, that's quite a thin slice you're asking for there, kind of the equivalent of using a big-ass cheese slicer on a 2" board. Very difficult to get a good cut. (It would probably need to be run through a planer after resawing.) What are you using this for? I assume it's not cheap pine and that you can't (or don't want to) run down to the lumber yard and get an 8-foot 1x10.
conversation with the average voter.

Why is 3/4" such a thin slice?
On 4/8/2008 5:01 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I guess it's not really. And to reply to another comment up above, yes, I would say this would want to be done on a good 18" or larger saw.
conversation with the average voter.

You must be kidding. I'd do that on my Jet 14" saw all day long and have near perfect cuts ready for the planer to finish. I'll even do it for free if I can have the other 1"+ left over. Want .25? I can do that too. Want .125? Yep, I've done it, as can anyone with a decent blade and well set up saw.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

wrote in message

Heck, I can do it with my Husky knife :-)

Just be sure to wipe the blood off if you happened to have skinned a 'possum for dinner first.
wrote in message

Possum? How dare you! Protected species up here at The Lodge. Privledge to purchase duct tape revoked for infractions. But the dead ones go into Possum Lake. That's why they call it Possum Lake...ya know.

Kewl! Send me a mailing address. I have a possum that you will just LOVE! A powerful personality. Has me completely intimidated -- comes through the cat door and ****s up the cat's water dish. So now I have to slide the closer into the cat door every night. So now my cat, by now well-trained, goes in and out through a cat door in my bedroom door (yes, I had one cut in; long story), and through the miniblinds on my rear window. Scratched up the wallpaper below the window pretty good.
I'll even send him UPS if it will expedite matters.
Aspasia
aspasia wrote in wrote in message

http://www.redgreen.com
On 4/8/2008 6:41 PM Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

OK, I believe you. But do you still say you can do all this, now that the OP has told us that the wood is ipe? That stuff is harder than hell.
If the answer is "yes", then you must have one finely-tuned bandsaw, and I congratulate you on that.
conversation with the average voter.

I've not cut Ipe, but I have cut Brazilian Cherry. Very slow feeding. I cut some down to 1/4" thick trim.
You have to take an hour or two to get the saw properly set up and you need a good sharp blade. The one I use for re-sawing is used just for that purpose. I also had a good teacher.

You have the job, and you can keep the left overs!

It's Ipe wood and it's for a decorative plaque. The finished plaque needs to measure 8.5"h x 17"w x 1/2"d (my original post said 3/4"). The only Ipe I have found online that accomodates those dimensions is 9"h x 2"d, which is way too thick. The finish has to be pristine being that it's decorative.
Crabshell wrote: ...

If you're in a moderate or large area I'd say there would be good chance a shop would be able to come up w/ something far closer to your needs as starting point.
Does it _have_ to be ipe? There are lots of other dark woods. What other requirements?

Does it have to be one piece? You often pay a premium for wider boards but they are available. If you can't find a board wide enough, you can glue two or more pieces with a perfect joint. Walnut and cherry would be nice also and on the darker side that you want. 4/4 rough stock will finish at 3/4" easily.
This will give you an idea of what is available. Keep in mind, it is random with x 10" long and you must buy the full board. http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com /
Your best bet is to find a local woodworker that would do this for you. Many of us would do it for little more than the cost of materials. If it is from a wood I don't have or need, I'd charge you for the full board that I'd have to buy or you can supply it.
Crabshell wrote:

heard of "ipe wood", I did a little googling. Ipe is not just a piece of wood, apparently. It is exceedingly hard and also difficult to finish. If you do a Google search on ' ipe wood "custom milling" ' you will probably find what I found. Just for the sake of getting experienced wooddworkers, I'll post to rec.woodworking.
I had some oak custom cut and routed edges once, for a bargain price. The jobber told me afterward that he burned up several router bits, and would have charged me more had he known how tough it would be. He did fine work, and stuck to the price he quoted me.
Norminn wrote:

I have had success resawing 1x4 IPE to 1/2" nominal using a Delta 14" band saw with a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf blade. IPE is indeed hard but it is consistent throughout its width. I ran it through a jointer and a planer to achieve the proper thickness. I have also eased the edges with a router. In short, no major problems.     mahalo,     jo4hn

it would be a lot easier to resaw short pieces of the Ipe board instead of the full 8 ft. I'd cut a bit larger than the finished size of the plaque and then resaw the short piece,and leave the rest of the 8ft. board the full thickness,for other projects.
you could also use a 10" tablesaw and ripcut each edge of the [short]piece and then use a handsaw to cut any remaining material joining them. They would still need planing,and the tablesaw kerf would eat up more thickness.But for a 0.5" final,you probably can spare it.You just have to have a good sharp blade,feed slowly and use the anti-kickback guard.
You could even get closer to your desired 0.5" thickness,and perhaps hand- plane it smooth.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik