Woodpeckers

I've got a cedar shake ranch with a dense population of thrushes around it. There's one spot on the house which, for whatever reason, attracts the birds. I understand that this behavior is called "drumming". I find myself replacing 3-5 shakes a year and going nuts at 0-dark-thirty in the a.m. when it starts. Has anyone come up with a practical, humane repellant? I have no problem using the old Ithaca, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Any tips would be appreciated.
--
C.J.

Pull my pud to reply
Do a Google search for woodpecker repellents and you will find lots of methods and products Pat
C.J. wrote:

check your shakes for bugs.. that is what the wood peckers are after the bugs..that in the wood.... they did a number on my tree, not very deep, just below the bark to get to the bugs there........
031116 2256 - jim wrote:

Speaking of Woodpeckers:
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~dpopov/BigWoody.jpg

No tips. There is a brick house across the street that has been used for the last three years for drumming. The metal down spouts sound really great.
TB