Woodpecker vs Cuckoo What are my options

I would be grateful for any and all advice & humor -- A woodpecker has moved into our neighborhood -- The side of my home is pressure treated wood with a 20 year stain applied. After a woodpecker attacked a corner of my home I was told "There must be bugs underneath". After removing the wood, spraying for bugs on the outside and in the attic, and manually inspecting for bugs, there is absolutely no damage except the three three inch holes the woodpecker drilled into the siding. I think he hears some sort of ultrasonic antenna noise from the old TV antenna or the Cable for the cable TV -- other than that he is just nuts. Nine of my ten neighbors will take me out to dinner if I shoot him because he has been ripping into their homes also. The rich guy on the block is entertained an thinks we are all cuckoo because he has steel siding. Last week the woodpecker tore into my new pressure treated, bug repellant sprayed, freshly stained corner trim. What are my options?
Going cuckoo in the midwest.

were attached by a group of peckers drilling holes through all the columns. Tried everything to no avail. Finally took brightly colored plastic bags, cut them into strips and placed them near all the columns. The plastic, flapping in the breeze seemed to chase them. Took a few weeks before they got the idea and moved on.
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:59:38 GMT "1_Patriotic_Guy" used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

You already answered your own question, shoot it.
If you want to keep it away from your house you could put up a owl decoy.
-Graham
Remove the 'snails' from my email
G. Morgan wrote:

That's what I do here in SW Fla. I have an all-cypress 2 story house and use a couple of life-size rubberized owl decoys that I bought at my local feed store. I use fishing line to hang them about 2 feet below the eves of the house and place them at the 2 corners of the house near the areas where where they tend to be attracted. They don't come near the house as long as the owls are hanging.
--
Paul R
-------------------------------

funny how the same guy who gets mad at the pro kerry posts, comes up with 'shoot it'
xrongor wrote:

Probably doesn't see much difference between Kerry and a Peckerwood.
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:09:37 -0500 "JerryMouse" used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

*that's funny* :-)
-Graham
Remove the 'snails' from my email
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:34:31 -0600 "xrongor" used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I'm from Texas. :-)
-Graham
Remove the 'snails' from my email
The woodpecker's usually fill the hole with a nut from a nearby tree. They'll come back later to 'eat the worms' that form in the nut. You don't have bugs now, but you might later.
I tried the owl trick. But, the damn birds are smart and soon figure out its not real. The ribbon idea probably works the best. Most birds are frightened of anything they don't understand.... one neighbor used pie tins and vegetable can lids to shine and flash in the wind.
--
Zyp
"1_Patriotic_Guy" <camel snipped-for-privacy@radiks.net> wrote in message
That is one of the few good uses of an AOL CDrom.

Paint some eyes on them with a MarksALot.
Steve
The woodpeckers like to "drum" on the siding to attract mates. Once they find a house that makes a good sound, they are all over it. I have cedar siding in front. Brick elsewhere. Was a terrific problem. No neighbors with steel but everyone else has either brick or a harder wood.
I had a huge bradford pear that finally had to come down. Once it was gone, so were the woodpeckers. See if you can find their nest.
Good luck! MinWax High Performance wood filler (2 part epoxy) works really, really well.
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

Thank You -- I've put out an owl and plastic strips to scare -- The BB gun is ready!