Woodpecker problem

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11 siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.
On 3/13/2011 2:55 PM, jb wrote:

When he is in it. :-)
Don
On 3/13/2011 4:29 PM, IGot2P wrote:

I have that recurring problem as well. Heard one of them drilling one day, and went out and hollered at it, and chased it from tree to tree. It (or another one) didn't come back for several weeks.
--
aem sends...

Woodpeckers are just like teenage boys who like to drive around slowly with the radio on loudly and the bass on high. They think it attracts the opposite sex, just like the male woodpeckers attract mates by drumming on something that makes the loudest noise. Maybe a mobile of old CD's will flash enough light around to scare them off. The woodpeckers, the teeners, you're on your own.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/13/2011 7:28 PM, Han wrote:

In The UK, shops have been playing classical music for years to drive loitering teens away until a new high frequency noise generator technology was developed that only youngsters and not adults are bothered by because adults can't hear it.
Teen away - Teenager repelling software
http://www.neuroinnovations.com/teen_away.html
http://www.guy-sports.com/months/jokes_repel_teens.htm
TDD

ugh... I would hate that... my hearing is pretty bad, honestly, but I can still hear high frequency noises like the whine from a flyback xformer in an old CRT... (a CRT with no signal going to it will drive me absolutely apeshit until I find it and turn it off)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 3/13/2011 8:00 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I can hear them too but since I replaced all my monitors with wide screen LCD's I haven't thought of it. I have a pair of Nokia 21" CRT monitors that have a .22 dot pitch which makes pictures look like 35mm projections. I love the picture but the damn things are huge and weigh as much as a fat girl. ^_^
TDD

Maybe playing classical music would get rid of them.
On 3/13/2011 11:31 PM, mm wrote:

Tchaikovsky "The 1812 Overture"? ^_^
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xobhy_tchaikovsky-overture-1812_music
TDD

had exactly the same problem. a few days of chasing him away when i heard him seemed to do the trick.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:57:30 -0700, Smitty Two

carpenter bees on occasion. nothing serious.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 21:26:39 -0400, Tony Miklos

Dang, that's clever. I've heard that birds aren't really bird-brains.

Some make a 'larder' by first making holes, then hammering nuts and acorns in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrrzwvYgy8

--
Ian

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:23:05 +0000, Ian Jackson

I rarely watch video but I watched it. Pretty good. If I were an arctic fox, I'd eat everything before the first snow.

Fake T1-11!? I thought T1-11 was fake wood.
That would make your stuff fake fake wood.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:27:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

No, another one does that. He only pays for it.

Had one this fall---he always came back to the same spot. Finally got rid of him by spraying his favorite area with wasp & hornet insecticide. I don't think it matters what you use, but obviously he didn't like what I did because he never came back. MLD