Woodpecker Nesting in Siding

Page 2 of 2

cybercat wrote:

If it's only one hole, it's a nest. If they're poking holes all over the house, you have a hidden food source.
At some point the woodpeckers (there's no such thing as one), will start advertising for mates. This usually consists of drumming. If you want to hear a god awful racket, check out an advertising woodpecker drumming on an aluminum downspout. This is a common problem and it gets on peoples' nerves very quickly. If you think woodpecker drumming is cute, I guarantee that your neighbor won't like _your_ cute woodpecker's antics.
There are several ways to get rid of woodpeckers that are not harmful to the pecker. Some people use a plastic owl or other bird of prey to scare away the woodpecker. There are also noise activated plastic spiders, big ones, that climb up and down a wire in response to the noise. This is very effective in stopping the drumming - at least until the pecker finds another location nearby.
Start with the owl.

Yes, it is just one perfect hole, a nicely done bird-sized entrance.

Helpful information, thank you.

RicodJour wrote:

It's pretty important that no one know you "got rid" of the woodpecker.
You might end up in jail.
MRS. CLEAN wrote:

I only suggested non-harmful ways, so I'm not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist. The suggestion of jail time suggests you believe that all woodpeckers are protected.
The red-cockaded and ivory-billed are the only two woodpecker species protected under the Endangered Species Act. Considering that the ivory-billed was thought to be extinct until only a short time ago it's probably safe to assume the pecker in question is not one. The red-cockaded woodpecker excavates nests in living trees (only woodpecker species to do so) and lives in social groups. It's not one of those either.
If you were referring to the Migratory Bird Conservation Act or the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, there are indeed a wider variety of woodpeckers that fall under their protection. As I am not suggesting the OP hunt them, take eggs (if any), disturb the nest, or start a black market trade in the single woodpecker they've seen, those laws don't apply.
I have an idea Mrs. Clean was just yanking some chain. Man, looks like some of these home repairs are really taking their toll on a few people here. :)
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

I didn't think you were suggesting I harm the bird.
And of course I would never do anything to harm the woodpecker or any other bird. I don't care if it is illegal or not, I wouldn't do it anyway.

I cannot comment on the species. In the South the woodpecker bores into the pine tree about 30 feet or so. The sap (turpentine) repels a predator.
During a hurricane; pine trees are snapped off at the thirty foot level (hundreds) ... killing the habitat. The nest is at the weak point in the tree. This happened in the plight of the woodpecker in the Carolinas..... -- Oren
Oren wrote:

If they could selectively breed variations of that woodpecker species that would nest at different heights, the next hurricane would knock down the trees in precut lengths. Now where did I put those patent applications...?