woodpecker damage

Page 2 of 2

Dog is clueless about woodpeckers, too. They bang to attract mates, as well. Aluminum downspouts are favorites.
Add pictures here
✖

When they make holes in wood siding, there are bugs present.
Now Keith wants to change the subject to aluminum downspouts.
What an intellectually dishonest buffoon!
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 30, 12:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

At least I can read the thread, liar.
Add pictures here
✖

Too bad you can't even follow a conversation. Reading is obviously not the same thing as understanding what you've read.
Sorry if I got your tea bags all in a knot, dimwit.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 30, 1:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Says the illiterate liar.

Not me, saltydong.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/30/2010 1:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

present, because the wood feels mushy and smells a little rotten. Like my cheap-ass OSB fake t1-11. No bugs at all, just mushy quasi-wood. It is soft EVERYWHERE, and I know I don't have bugs in every square foot.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
Not so sure it's insects. Someone told me a while back, and he seemed to know what he was talking about, that if they're pecking at siding instead of trees it's for the noise-- mating, or scaring off competitors, something like that. For insects they'll peck on trees.
If it's pecking on the same area, something that smells might drive it away.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:12:29 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli

It is insects.
Add pictures here
✖

Bugs. If they are building a nest there, it's because it includes an all night snack bar.
Add pictures here
✖
I had same problem and googled for solutions. There are sites that sell devices that move in the wind and the flash scares them off. I built some of the devices out of wire and some gold colored aluminum flashing I got at Ace hardware. I put one about every ten feet around the house and that stopped the woodpeckers from pecking holes in my redwood siding. They can be built cheap and would be worth trying.

Add pictures here
✖

Woodpeckers are very aggressive, persistent and territorial. If they begin to make clusters of holes in a localized area of your siding, the chances that they will give up and go away are small. Holes clusters are also an attractant to other woodpeckers, so part of the remedy is to patch damage as soon as possible. There is also some legitimacy in checking into possible insects which may be residing under the wood.
If you have tried some of the "humane" methods suggested by homeowners and commercial companies and find them somewhat ineffective, you may have to get rid of the bird itself. To do this legally, you must have a permit from the US Fish & Wildlife service, plus any state and local permissions. However, hiring an animal control company for an exorbitant sum is unnecessary. A simple, cheap and effective solution is to fasten a rat trap to the siding in the area where the damage is occurring. Position it with the pedal down, and bait it with suet or other yummy woodpecker food like a nice big juicy bug. Very effective, and quite humane if done properly so that the bird is killed instantly and does not suffer.
Add pictures here
✖

[...]
============================================= I would think cheap motion detector/lite setup, with a brite lite and some loud noise on a tape recorder (connected to sed lite) would be enough to drive them away. My understanding is that animals are pretty sensitive to noise. Try rap "music" -- but then you might get homeyz hanging out.....
Companies that operate in large hangars have bird/pidgeon/crap problems, and use taped hawked/falcom calls. Don't know how effective this is, just know they do it. Maybe taped owl screeches...
--
EA

Add pictures here
✖