wooden swing set

i'm thinking about building a wooden swing set for my grandkids (in my backyard) but not sure what kind of wood would be best to use, any suggestions would be appreciate.

Reply to
FH

Cheapest is pressure treated, but there are health concerns if there is going to be body contact like tables, chairs. Swing set structure would not have that problem. Cedar is next on the list. Mahogany and Ipe would be strong and long lasting, but much more costly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if i use cedar, what kind of protection should i put on it (from the rain and direct sun light)?

Reply to
FH

None is really needed, but thee are oils that will help keep it from turning gray in the sun, such as Penofin. The UV inhibitors in Penofin help keep the color as well as the oils preserving the wood. Cedar has natural defenses against the weather too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thank you

Reply to
FH

What about teak and redwood?

But seriously, the more important question is, what climate? In the Boise, ID desert a swingset made of normal construction-grade douglas fir / hemlock and treated every few years with deck stain is going to last many, many years. (I prefer to use little skids of composite deck boards under the legs, but my brother's swingset used redwood legs and no skids, holding up great.)

Try the same approach out on hilton head island, and the thing will be moss covered in a year and rotted away in five.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

i'm in northern California

Reply to
FH

I built with cedar, but I can not seem to find the Penofin to put on it... No matter how I search. Is this a brand name or an actual oil? I did see some once, but i could not tell if it was safe for kids or not.

If you use treated wood, I think you have to paint over it before its safe for kids to be on, and even then I am not entirely sure.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Meat Plow

You may also want to consider the manufactured wood they use for decking. I rebuilt a garden chair, and the stuff will last forever. It's grey in color, simulating already weathered cedar. Also, no splinters.

If you do go with cedar, I suggest leaving it natural, otherwise you just rope yourself into yearly maintenance.

Reply to
Larry Bud