Wooden Lap Siding Options - What to use when painting

I'm having a shed/retreat built in my backyard. This outbuilding will be covered in what I believe is called lap siding (long horizontal boards). Our intention is to paint the siding to match the house. Currently, the quote for the work specifies cedar siding. I've done some searching on the web and found some alternative, but what I don't know is the cost differential.
My question is, since I'm going to paint the outside, is there a cheaper option for the siding material than Cedar? I still want/need a wood product, not an engineered siding product. I'm located in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle), which will have some affect on the final choice.
Thanks!
--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington
Jim Sullivan wrote:

If you're going to paint it, and keep it painted, anything will work. ALthough I'd still stay away from poplar. In your case, plain old western fir ought to be as good as anything.
--Goedjn (Do a web-search on "wood handbook", to find an online copy of the US handbook on wood, and then search it for the word "siding".)