Wooden Ladder Rung Replacement?

Buy new ladder. Fixing one may violate OSHA, especially if used for any but home use. Could be dangerous as well. Give your wood ladder to a museum.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

What he said..

Reply to
AlanBown

How rungs fastened in--captured one/both ends or through hole w/pin?

Either way, probably only practical solution is to drill out present rung and find/make proper diameter dowel. I'd recommend the make route w/ clear material as I've never seen OSHA-rated dowel material a la scaffolding although I'm sure there's a source for the manufacturers. Guess you could try the/a manufacturer to see of they'd supply a replacemtn rung, but I'd really doubt if they would.

I've got one of those old suckers too...man, is it heavy to tote around/set up! But, given price of a new fiberglass replacement and the infrequency of needing it, I'd look at repair, too, if it were otherwise still in good shape.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Man, you going to help take of a collection? :)

If done w/ quality material and fastened well, I see it as no less safe than original. As for OSHA regs, that is possible, I won't conjecture...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Old Ladder. Broke rung. Must repair. Looking for "kit"... or advice.

Reply to
John Gregory
40' extension ladder... round wooden rungs.
Reply to
John Gregory

Cut it down to a 39 foot ladder and use the rung cut off to repair the bad rung.

Reply to
Art

Advice- use ladder as trellis for plants. Buy a new one.

Last year the bottom rung gave out on my old wooden ladder. I pondered how to fix it while I was trimming some branches. When I came down the next higher rung came out. I laughed-- got my sawzall & made the ladder 2 feet shorter. God laughed back and the next trip up the ladder he let me get to the 4th or 5th rung before telling that one to let go. No so funny as those bottom ones. I contemplated how unfunny it would have been if I was up another 20 feet with say a bundle of shingles or something.

Now I own a 20 foot aluminum that I love- [$10 at an auction] and a

40' fiberglass that weighs as much as that old wooden beast, but doesn't have nearly the wiggle. [$150 at a garage sale] Pretty cheap piece of mind.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If rung was broken by an accident (something dropped on it, saw hit it, etc.) I might try fixing. If it broke while you were standing on it, trash the ladder. Other rungs are due to break also.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just duct tape it together and go about your business....

Reply to
TPutmann