Wooden chair repair

This was a standard old wooden chair with two side rungs and one rung front and back. With a couple of the side rungs fallen out the chair legs began to "sag" and eventually through misuse (my relative has a household full of children who like to tilt them) the chair more or less collapsed. It would have been fine, of course, had the rungs been glued back in place at the first opportunity!

Now what has happened:

1) the seat actaully split where one leg was embedded. A sliver about 3/4" wide and 1-1/4" long is bent out of the wood. I imagine it can be glued and tapped back in place, but will it have strength to hold the leg now?

2) one of the spindles split at the base, not a clean break either. This is probably ideally fixed with a dowel, but is a "for now" fix with glue acceptable if the rest of the back is properly glued and put back together?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Considering the damage you could do to yourself if it "let go" when you sat down on it, I'd be inclined to toss it out and get a new one.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

throw out the chair.. your back is worth more than a broken chair... dont believer me?? just sit in it and fall over backwards and see how long it takes for you back to heal....

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Phisherman

According to Dan Hartung :

You can do virtually anything with the proper glue as long as the wood itself still reasonably solid, and you spend enough time piecing things back together. Modern glues (especially good carpenters glues or regular epoxies, not "5 minute" per-se) are stronger than the wood itself when used right.

Whether the result is "acceptable" is going to depend on a lot of things. Like, how much is the chair really worth to you? Will you manage to avoid abuse beyond its capability? How well built was it in the first place?

It's rarely something that anyone else can judge for you sight-unseen.

We've had some chairs we've bothered repairing only because the teddy bears who use them have promised to treat them _very_ gently. One bear refused, and he has to sit on the floor instead.

If it's otherwise reasonably sound and has some redeeming characteristics, we usually repair it. But, turning new legs, for example, may be a bit beyond what you're interested in doing.

A badly-split leg on a chair is probably beyond saving, unless you're going to restrict it to light duty, or spend the time to use dowels or make a new leg.

[He says, with a chair in the garage waiting for him to turn a new leg.]
Reply to
Chris Lewis