Woodburing Fireplace Insert

Most places in the US (all?), all stoves must be EPA "certified" to be installed. You cannot even remove uncertified stoves for cleaning and re-install them where I live. This is important to consider if you buy used.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have had a Pacific Energy" insert now for 5 years. I researched several inserts before I chose this one. It has been excellent with 0 problems, good heat, stoke up and burn all night - with approx a cup full of soot from the liner - which I only clean 1x a year. It burns slow with minimal wood useage. It has a built in blower with a thermostat that will cut in / out according to the temperature. In case of a power outage I have a small battery operated fan blowing directly at the stove which circulates the heat nicely. I heat a 2 story 1500 sq foot home burning 4 cords a year - the oil furnace is rarely used. Since I installed mine 4 other people on the street have installed the same unit. Just google pacific energy wood stoves - it's worth a look.

gl

Reply to
robson

Any recommendations on wood burning fireplace insert makers? Any brands to avoid.

Recommendations, comments, suggestions, etc appreciated!

Thanks!

Don

Reply to
Don

yes. they were my 1st choice but due to the size of my fire place (old coal burning style) i was unable to get a VC insert to fit. Jotul is another good unit

Reply to
robson

had the heat circulating fan.It was top of the line cost $1900. The one reason I bought you did not have to re-flew the chimney, That can get into a bit of money. The only problem I had with it the fan motor broke the first year. Short version. The fireplace shop said the motor had to be oiled once a year, It says that in the owners manual. Got him off guard held the manual said show me. So I oiled the new free motor once a year, 45 min Job. That might a question. After about 10 years the door catch was getting lose. the Brass was wearing out. But there is nothing like the heat of a wood fire it outweighs the whole pain in the ass firewood

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I don't know how they are now, but in the past few years, but Vermont Castings were always one of the best.

I've had a VC stove for 24 years now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Put in a Avalon Rainier a few years ago. No regrets.

Reply to
Jim

It means that you are burning very hot if you have nothing there - something to be cautious of. I'm suprised you never lit the chimmney up after 0 cleaning in 3 years.

Reply to
robson

Reply to
C & M

Or efficient. My Avalon was serviced after two years of use. Fellow said all he found was powder. Excellent burn. I attribute that to the total package installation which included a properly sized flue liner.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks everyone!

Don