Wood/Wood floor question

I have a question about wood floors and possibly just wood in general.
A few years ago I developed a weird allergy/sensitivity to being around certain wood floor homes or establishments with lots of wood fixtures.
I notice it most intensely when there is a sweet smell, kind of like older wood or something (possibly mildew) The kind of smell I notice in old churches or other old establishments. I also notice the issue when there is a strong natural wood smell like in a cabin or something.
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what this could possibly be causing the sweet smelling odor and if wood is giving off a strong natural wood smell in a home is it possible to lock it in with a type of finish.
I think I'm currently dealing with a mixture of both odors in the apartment I just moved into. I'm thinking of laying some kind of finish on the floor to possibly lock in the wood smell and getting a air purifier that gets mold out of the air (considering the problems are what I'm assuming they are).
I appreciate any input on the subject.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mar 3, 1:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Its probably mold and you should not live with it, or there if it affects you. Its not your responsibility as a tenant to have to fix it, it is the landlords. I hate to say it but you should get a pro to help, the citys health department. Some molds will make you very sick and you are already affected by something you do not understand.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Its probably mold and you should not live with it, or there if it affects you. Its not your responsibility as a tenant to have to fix it, it is the landlords. I hate to say it but you should get a pro to help, the citys health department. Some molds will make you very sick and you are already affected by something you do not understand.
***********************************
Within reason you are correct. Give that the OP has a reaction in many places, it may be that he will never get his apartment, or any other place, sufficiently mold free to be comfortable. Mold is al around us.
If the apartment is beyond normal limits, the landlord should fix it but don't expect perfection. It does not exist.
Shellac is probably the best coating to be allergen free. Careful with the alcohol fumes though.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Iriecd,
You use the word "apartment" which suggests to me that you are renting. I do not think you should do anything to the landlord's apartment without his permission in writing. Ok, you are allergic to wood, or wood cleaner, or wood polish, or mold that grows on wood, or many other things. You do not really know what is causing your allergy. There are allergists who can help you to determine what is causing your reactions. Are your reactions that severe? Can you move to another (less allergen laden) apartment? Sorry but I doubt an "air purifier" will help much.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.