Wood Stove Venting

Baby it's cold outside!

I have a small, 15,000 btu wood stove. It's in great shape and I would like to place it in my furnace room of a split-level home. The walls are all block. Problem: Venting it!

Can I add a "T" or "Y" pipe to my existing oil fired furnace stove pipe just before it exits into the chimney? This would allow me to vent the small wood stove up the same chimney flue the furnace and H2O heater use.

What are your thoughts on this.

We're cold on the lower level :(

Thanks for your ideas

Reply to
BobtheTeacher

When I installed my woodstove, everything was driven by my insurance company. To have my house covered in case of a fire caused by the woodstove, I had to do all work to building codes and to the woodstove manufacturer's specs and the chimney manufacturers specs.

So after reading the woodstove installation instructions and chimney installation instructions, I went and asked my local building inspector questions about what I could and could not do.

Then I got a permit, had my work inspected by building inspector, then by my insurance company.

So bottom line, read the installation instructions for your specific model of woodstove and/or call the manufacturer. Then ask your local building inspector and insurance company. (If you want your home covered in case of fire.)

Reply to
Bill

No.

Reply to
robson

I"ve seen hacked jobs like that. Most (maybe all) codes require a flue for each appliance. If the oil burner puts unburned fuel into the flue, your woodstove could ignite them. Sort of like making your chimney into a jet engine afterburner.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What will you do when it runs out of Btus?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

NO! Two items on one chimney steals the draft or draw from the other reducing the ability of either to have the smoke removed. It is against code. Only a gas water heater is allowed to share a chimney with a gas furnace.

Reply to
EXT